Good point Brian. How on earth do we know that our transmitters are actually on low power. Bit like knowing that the fridge light actually does go out when we close the door in the days when we had proper transmitters. They had a meter on the front that told us so much about the output the aerial matching and consequently the battery.

Like you I have often wondered about the validity of the low power test ( however i do one religiously every flying trip.) I am not sure how much it reduces the output 100 uW springs to mind I am sure someone will know. It is possible that under the right conditions the radio could work at 30 metres with much less. We need to remember that there is in reality no such thing as interference it's matter of ratio of wanted signal to unwanted signal

i do however wish more people would do a range check every visit to the field it does in fact cover most of the more likely scenarios like broken receive or transmitter aerials and is also another opportunity to do a control check. We all know that some people don't even do that before launch. Already mentioned on this thread as a cause of fly aways!

Edited By gangster on 09/01/2015 09:57:16