Which Radio Gear to Purchase

HI

I am relatively new to radio control aircraft being mainly a RC Marine man but have to admit that driving a boat about a pond is no real fun.

I enjoy the building and not the sailing.

But is radio aircraft this is different. You scratch build the models and you hope it flies well and doesn't end up trashed in a head 3 seconds after starting.

I like a challenge so have got into RCCAircraft.

I have a lot to learn from you guys out there and one question I need answered is which RC equipment to Purchase, after all this what makes a plane operate and I would obviously want a reasonable priced set capable of at least 6 channels and in 2.4 GHz.

I have Futuba and Planet systems for my boats but want a dedicated radio for my aircraft.

I was looking at the Spektrum 7s system which looks like it is as good as it gets for the money I want to spent but if I have to push it dearer I will.

Can some of you experienced guys out there give me your recommendations as to what make and type you would recommend for simply club flying and to get started.

I am nearing finishing my Fairey Swordfish and need the radio gear as engines etc are bought.

Any assistance would be gratefully recieved.

Regards

Advert

Graham, the best advice I think you can get is go and try them out to see how they feel in your hands and then buy whichever of the main brands you like! Futaba, Spektrum, HiTec, JR - you can't really get much between them.

Who is going to fly this Swordfish? Not you I am assuming at least at first? If you have a pilot in mind who is going to teach you (on a trainer again I assume), or a local club where you plan to learn to fly, then I would ask what is popular in those quarters. Not because it will be "better", but because if its popular there will be plenty of support and help for that brand.

BEB

Graham.....BEB is right. Find which brand your instructor uses and buy one of those so you can buddy up. Try them in a shop to see which suits you best. I had a Futaba 6EX...no good..swapped to a T7CAP...perfect. Transmitters from the same manufacturer can feel very different....try them out.

Andrew

hello graham and welcome from me.......wherever you intend to fly models at---have a crack with the existing lad's and see what they are using--you'll get various comments re-the pro's and con's and then that will help you get your head around what you need........don't go over the top (dosh) wise...I would say around about £200.00 will give you a fair choice......I use Hitec and in the past have used Futaba....both worth a mention....

ken Anderson ne...1 over the top dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 18/04/2014 09:31:04