Free colour editing software?

Rich too

Hi there,

We are having our house painted soon and we are not sure about colours for the front door - can anyone recommend free software for easily changing the colours in a jpeg image? So that we can get an idea of what various schemes will look like.

Thanks

Rich

Edited By Rich2 on 24/04/2014 13:47:03

Advert

Haha! Interesting name! Thanks for the suggestions. I have downloaded and tried gimp, but it is beating me. We only need black and white options!! I think part of the problem is that the front door is currently varnished and shows up in quite a few different shaded areas - not easy to select and paint the whole thing in one step....sad

Posted by Rich2 on 24/04/2014 14:57:55:

Haha! Interesting name! Thanks for the suggestions. I have downloaded and tried gimp, but it is beating me. We only need black and white options!! I think part of the problem is that the front door is currently varnished and shows up in quite a few different shaded areas - not easy to select and paint the whole thing in one step....sad

GIMP = GNU Image Processing Package or something like that

GNU = Gnus Not Unix - It is a load of folk who produce high quality free software. Much of the internet relies of their stuff.

In GIMP you can use layers.  You can make overlays with variable transparency. 

If you take a picture of your door, and convert it to a b+w image.  Create a transparency of your B+W door.  Then put under it (behind it?) a coloured area to try.  The overlay should darken the paint colour in the same way that the colour of your existing door varies.

I know it can be done.  It is, however quite a complicated task.  Still, it often takes time and effort to learn to use powerful tools.

I am no expert in its use, but if you PM me I will give what help I can. 

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 24/04/2014 15:59:20

Edited By Plummet on 24/04/2014 16:01:02

I keep telling my other proportion (Half? If that is by weight then she is considerably less than half. I am sure that other factors would measure to different proportions.) that "Designer Scruffy" is all the rage.

It can take an absolute fortune to achieve "Designer Scruffy", or alternatively one can rely upon natural weathering and judicious applications of doing nothing.

Plummet

Posted by Plummet on 24/04/2014 22:58:28:

It can take an absolute fortune to achieve "Designer Scruffy", or alternatively one can rely upon natural weathering and judicious applications of doing nothing.

Plummet

I couldn't agree more!

Thanks for the offer, but the decision has (thankfully) been made, the wife said "paint it black" - thanks Tom!

Rich