Starmax F4 Phantom (64mm fan)

Ed Darter

Hi,

Hoping someone can help! I'm building the above model but there is no mention of control throws in the manual. A search of the Web shows a few reviews etc but no mention of throws anywhere!

Has anyone build and successfully flown one of these? And if so what were the control throws?

Many thanks

Ed

Advert

I had one and it was a great little flyer! A bit tricky to hand launch using the skid underneath but I never broke it...

Yes, no throws in the manual and I sold mine and didn't keep a record of the throws.

I remember setting up dual rates with expo on the ailerons and elevator and guessing the total amount of throw.

Bear in mind the all moving elevator (or should that be stabilizer or even stabilator?!) will be quite effective and again if I remember, the linkage doesn't allow you much movement anyway, so just go for the most movement you can get without stressing the servo on high rates and perhaps 60% of that on low rates.

I definitely had a bit more throw on the ailerons than elevator, but again the linkages limit the movement to a certain extent. And I did the same trick with rates.

I reckon I probably had 8mm total throw on the elevator and around 11 or 12mm total on the ailerons.

I used to fly with full rates on the elevator all the time, but I did used to use the low rate settings for the ailerons to give smooth, jet type banking manoeuvres.

If this is your first EDF or jet type model, then bear in mind the relatively small control surfaces and small movements will tend to lose effectiveness at lower speeds, so try and keep the speed up, especially in turns as you will notice the nose dropping and will have no elevator authority to lift it!

Sorry for the dimly remembered waffling, hope it's useful and bear in mind that the model is a little cracker in the air and doesn't really have any bad habits, I'm sure you will enjoy.

Mine was the RAF camouflage version and was, hmm, interesting to orientate in the typical grey murky light we get in NE England

Thanks both.

Not my first EDF Andy, I have a Habu (Grey foam version) and a Starmax Panther. Not flown the Habu much but love the Panther. Though its currently grounded due to the fan disintegrating on launch the other week. Unfortunately it took the motor and the servo lead to the elevator with it so the model may be a write off. Not decided yet so have put it to one side and got the Phantom built. Thanks for the tips though, I suspect its going to be a twitchier model than the Panther so the heads up is duly noted!

Sounds like the colour scheme is the same as well, Must admit that did occur to me once it was assembled. Small model, travelling fast in cammo colours, what could possibly go wrong!!

Thanks
Ed