Motor tightning?

This is a strange one to me, but then again my experience is not great.

Two friends of mine have noticed that after flying their planes (Critical mass and a Husban motorized glider) that the motors on both planes seem to be harder to turn manually.

After cooling for a few hours things seem to go back to normal. I am at a loss to explain to them the reason for this. Is it possible that they are running the motors to hard?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Regards

Mike

Advert

Hi Michael , I noticed identical behavior of the motor in my Durafly Spitfire 24 ... after a few minutes the situation normalizes ....question...I did not help, but maybe someone has an answer.

In the meantime... Cheers with a beer in your shed...beer

Jo

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 01/05/2014 19:57:12

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 01/05/2014 19:57:56

Hi Josip, Cheers!,...the beer was 'all grain' brewed to my own recipe and the bittering hops and the flavour hops where 'Citra', grown in Navada U.S.A.

As you can see from my pictures I need to spend more time building and flying, rather than brewing!

Kind regards

Mike

Posted by Michael Wright on 01/05/2014 12:25:24:

This is a strange one to me, but then again my experience is not great.

Two friends of mine have noticed that after flying their planes (Critical mass and a Husban motorized glider) that the motors on both planes seem to be harder to turn manually.

After cooling for a few hours things seem to go back to normal. I am at a loss to explain to them the reason for this. Is it possible that they are running the motors to hard?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Regards

Mike

If the ESC brake is set "on" & the battery is still connected the motor will be stiffer to turn. It's also possible that even when the battery is disconnected the large capacitor across the battery input will be maintaining the brake's effectiveness until it's charge decays, which may take some time.

Posted by Michael Wright on 01/05/2014 20:21:44:

Hi Josip, Cheers!,...the beer was 'all grain' brewed to my own recipe and the bittering hops and the flavour hops where 'Citra', grown in Navada U.S.A.

As you can see from my pictures I need to spend more time building and flying, rather than brewing!

Kind regards

Mike

Brewing, and 'planes. A combination after my own heart! laugh

Jo I have found this with most of my electric set ups - and I never use the brake function. Effectively I think the esc is using the residual charge in the capacitors and braking even though when it can think properly (when powered to the lipo) it knows it shouldn't be braking.

I was puzzled by this at first, but if you disconnect the wires from the esc to the motor (if you can get at them) the braking effect disappears instantly. It is the esc not a fault with the motor.

Edited By GrahamWh on 02/05/2014 09:21:11

I still get the side effect although I've never used brakes. It's just the way it is with some escs, and nothing to worry about. The braking effect comes off when the battery is reconnected and the esc is able to think correctly.

You could probably remove the brake effect by short circuiting the "power in" connectors of the ESC for a few seconds after the battery has been disconnected. This will discharge the capacitor & prove whether that's the culprit or not.
IMO the residual brake effect is not really causing any problems, tracking down the reason is purely academic. (Where's Erfolg when he's needed ? ) teeth 2