Aileron setings

monty2

Have just bought an Easy Star 2 for casual use, have set up with a Spektrum DX6i and AR400 receiver. When assembling I used a dedicated servo checking tool to set the mid point on the servos. I then plugged in the AR400 and throws are wildly different. I have appx 5,00mm on a Lh turn and about 20.00mm on the right turn. Any suggestions to correct servos don't appear to find a different centre point but sit happily where the checker says they should.

Help please from those more expert than I am.

When you plug the flight battery in are the surfaces neutral ie. flush with the wings as you set them with the servo checker?

If they are out..

Check all your trims are centred on the front screen.

Go into the menus and check that all your subtrims are at 0 (zero)

Tell us what you find before we all go suggesting unlikely and conflicting corrections.

Kevin

Have rechecked everything, yes I am using a Y lead and I assumed both ailerons would move the same. All settings on transmitter are now neutral (Inh or 100%) and everything OK.

I need to reduce throws according to manufacturers recommendation. This is when problem starts. I set to 30% using Travel Adjust and on LH bank I get 5mm movement of both ailerons and on Rh bank 20mm+. This looks like a recipe for disaster. I need to set upward deflection to 8mm and downwards to 4mm

What am I doing wrong?? Or am I expecting the DX6 to do more than is possible?

monty2 the Dx6i has separate travel adjust settings for each direction. It sounds like you have adjusted the Left travel adjust and not the right?

Incidentally, adjusting as far down as 30% means you're not getting the best resolution (number of steps the servo can move in) of of your system as you are now using less than a third of them.
A better way to reduce movement is to move the pushrod connections at servo and aileron horns. To reduce movement, move the connection out (away from the hinge) a few holes on the horn, and in a few holes(towards the centre) at the servo.

Chris, to show my ignorance and relatively recent return to the sport how do I get at the separate adjustments. I have spent a couple of hours poring through the manual and pouring tea down my throat and can only see how to do it in Travel adjust for what appears to be one side.

Monty, just hold the aileron stick in the direction you want to adjust the travel. BTW another way of doing what you want to do would be to leave travel adjust at 100% and in the dual rate menu just adjust the rate %age there, this works on both directions and you can set different rates (and expo if you want) for each position of the rate switch.

Note on a Y lead the only way to get more up aileron than down aileron would be to offset the servo arms, so that the same rotational movement gives different linear movement (like we used to have to do before computer radios!), if you want to program in differential you'll need a 6 channel Rx and plug the aileron servos into aileron and aux and select dual aileron in the menu, then you can adjust the differential in the differential setting.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 23/05/2014 15:55:08

Hi Monty,

Once in the menu for setting end points, try moving the control stick to the side with the end point you want to adjust. You should see the arrow change direction in the display. For example, to set the end point for the right position, hold the aileron stick to the right and hold it there while you set the end point for that direction.

Cheers,

TWS

Just done some more checks, my receiver is an AR400 which doesn't have any ports other than Rud, Elle, Ail,, Thro. Bind/data. so I was trying to do things it couldn't. still thanks again for all the help.. Will look twice in future at whai am using.