Alternative motor for Max Thrust Riot

Hi all.

Here's a ...

Now, all you leccy peoples.... Whats a good alternative... Its 850kv I need a bit more sparkle but not 3D! It has a 5mm shaft which is nice and strong, but if it noses over that bell housing shifts backwards and jams on the chassis - as mine has blush

So.. any suggestions?

Edited By Stevo on 01/06/2014 18:48:02

Advert

Hello there.

I currently fly a hobbyzone super cub- super xxx. It has a turnigy aerodrive 3536, i think 1200 rpm/volt,9x6 original prop. 60a esc. IMO performance from this motor is outstanding. As plane is now nearing retirement, i have purchased a riot, which i have not flown yet, however, motor looks to be puny by comparison, so i am interested to hear you are looking for more 'sparkle'. whatever my supercub lacks- it is certainly not sparkle. As i feel first impressions have a great effect on future satisfaction, my dilema is do i fly riot as is, transfer motor and prop from sc to riot (have not yet looked into space available) or like you, find a suitable motor with more 'sparkle'. While i have still not flown sc at wot, i am now accustomed to takeoff in 3ft, or less. I am supprised that you are not innundated with workable solutions from tested alternatives. I can't help, yet, but will watch with interest.

Here's a cut n paste from another forum. Apparently the designers words:-

"just a little tip on the Riot, the model has been designed to be played with, out of the box it is set to be almost a trainer but with increasing the throws it becomes a very advanced trainer / sports hack, then if you wish you can remove the cowl ( two screw ) and you will find a steel weight which can be removed. when this is removed the CG will go back around 10-15mm which will then suit the more aggressive style.

now for more fun and power you can mess with the power set up, we have fitted a 40 amp ESC so that you can if you wish use a 4 cell pack. if you do this you need to drop the propeller to a 10 x 5/6 and then even more power will be at your finger tips.

I broke the prop on landing - it simply nosed over at walking pace. When I looked at the prop it had snapped - and when I looked closer, the prop (the stock one) was full of air holes.

Replaced with a 10x8 and it flew much better.= bu flight imes are 5-6m on a 2200maH Lipo..frown

James you may be interested in my other post regards the Riot surprise

I think in short if it had been built correctly and was a bit lighter I would be more enthusiatic. WOT4 Foam-e next time.

Thanks for the tip Chris... Doesn't mention an alternative... Just wanted to see if anyone else had done anything.

I replaced my Riot motor with the Hobbyking 4010 820kv 'donkey' brand, it seems to be exactly the same motor to me. I use 3S and have it turning a 12x6 it gives easy vertical performance and is a lot cheaper than the UK variant, only problem is waiting for it to arrive. Flight times are 12-mins of moderate/ mixed flight with a 2200mA battery.

Edited By David... on 08/06/2014 07:54:38

• 7 months later...

Based on the advice from DAVID!!! I bought the Hobbyking 4010 820kv 'donkey' brand I bought this.

It is NOT a direct replacement and CERTAINLY not the same, it's considerably larger, it can be made to fit though you will need to fly without the Cowl and redrill the holes making the holes extremely close to the edge....

Not sure how, if you made this replacement you did not notice this....