Fun Cub Gyro

Tom Wright  2

Hi Tom can you give me a little more information on the conversion. Did you just glue the brackets (that hold the mast) to the top of the 1/8 ply plate then fit the mast into the bracket? How far back is the mast from the wing LE? also how long is the mast? I still have all my Crane Fly's and fly them regularly thanks to you.

Kevin

Advert

Hi Kevin

I am glad to hear you are still flying the Crane Fly models. As for the Fun Cub conversion the 1/8" ply plate is secured to the wing mount using the two original nylon bolts. The base for holding the mast is built with 1/8"ply to allow the mast to slot in and be adjustable from zero to six degrees rake back , when the correct rotor pitch trim is found then the mast can be glued permanently in place. The setting on my model came out at between four and five degrees.

The front edge of the mast is 1/4" x 1/2" spruce with a hard 1/4" balsa rear fairing , the mast l/e is located 55 mm from the front of the base plate and the dimension from the base plate to the underside of the tri plate is 240 mm.

My butt jointed mast base is probably under engineered , but has never been a problem although the addition of hard tri section each side would not go amiss. The gf tri plate is 4" 0.8 mm thick with the blade bolt holes 33 mm from the rotor bolt centre the blades are AJ 450s chord 43 mm.

Hope this helps but if more info is needed do give me a shout.

Regards

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom I have the Cub just about finished built as your specs But I am a bit worried about the hang angle to get any decent angle (15 or 20 degrees) I have to use a 2200 pack and about 4oz of lead I could use two batteries which is what I might have to do but it sure gets heavy I think each 2200 pack weighs in at 6oz.

I was just curious as to what hang angle you ended up at thank you.

Kevin