Field Battery

JT

I prefer to use an electric starter and so purchased this along with a basic field battery from my local model shop.

As I have progressed and gone on to higher compression engines the starter has begun to struggle.  I initially blamed the starter until I borrowed a field battery from someone which made the world of difference. 

They say it's a battery from one of those granny scooters you see terrying the town folk and that it cost around £25.

So far I haven't been able to find anything for less that £60 that appears to come close.  Does anyone use something similar and if so where did you get it from?

Advert

Hi JT

We have discussed this briefly on another thread.  A cheaper method is to get one of those car starter power stations. You can either leave it as it is and connect it to your flight box. Or connect your starter directly to it. Or if you do not wish to lug it about, then take the battery out of it. They are usually 12 volt 17 amp/ hour sealed batteries( bags of power and capacity!). Think about it They jump start cars with those little babies!!! The other good thing is you can pick them up for about 20 quid  almost anywhere! plus they always come with a 500 MA/h charger. Either wire in the charge socket to your flight box or cut off the charge plug and replace it with spade connectors. Hope this helps your wallet!

Al