Transmitter screens vs sunglasses

I use a Hitec Aurora 9 Tx and wear Oakey polarised sunglasses. Apart from the screen going a bit dark (!) when wearing the glasses there are no problems seeing anything on the screen so telemetry and timer is still visible without issue.

A couple of days ago when on the hillside on a bright and sunny day a flying colleague proudly showed me his latest JR transmitter (can't recall which model but their new frequency hopping protocol and 9 channels) and I couldn't see anything on the screen. All I got were these rainbow aberations that sometimes happens when looking at perspex and some mobile phone screens.

Now it doesn't affect me but has anyone else had a problem with this? Maybe its worth considering wearing your favourite sunglasses when selecting a radio to buy - or vice versa, well you get my drift. What are your experiences with this? I fancy a Taranis. What's that like? I wonder which radio manufacturers factor this in the their design. It looks like JR don't.

Ian

Advert

I cannot look at a transmitter screen while flying, Ian.

For one, I'd need to wear reading glasses or use my varifocals, which I really don't like flying in. Even if I could focus, I don't think any glance away from the model is a good idea anyway.

Moving to a Taranis has meant that I can get whichever telemetry information I need while flying, spoken to me. This is either via the Tx speaker, or via an earpiece.

I've found it an a revelation.

I came across these a while ago, but not yet bought. They are polarised, but they attach to the rim of a baseball cap and flip up out of the way when needed. They also seem to slide back and forth, so you may be able to glance down under them as well.  Might be a solution.

**LINK**

Edited By Essjay on 03/07/2014 11:19:19

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 03/07/2014 10:37:26:

I don't think any glance away from the model is a good idea anyway.

True, but you should check the landing area is clear before landing.

But back on topic I wear prescription sunglasses (varifocals) and don't have any problem seeing the screens on my Royal Pro (positioned above the neck strap) or Spekky Dx6i, I suspect the problem may occur if the sunglasses are the polarising type.

While I agree with Chris that voice is the way to go for telemetry, I usually check the screen to make sure I've got the correct model selected etc before take off so being able to see it is important in that respect.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 03/07/2014 13:05:59