Early US Jet Fighters

Erfolg

After some thought, I have decided to post a quick review of three books I have read recently. The thought centred around impressions we often have of certain aircraft and their history.

Even then, most books which deal with early the period of an aircrafts history, more often and not rely on a perspective, which is either popular or from a company’s perspective, which will more often and not be careful not to bite the hand that feeds nor cause offence.

I was going to start with book about the development and procurement process of the German military aircraft industry pretty much to date. Where all the authors were Government servants. Mainly as the scenarios outlined fit with my own observations in the UK. To avoid controversy early on I will start with.

“Early US Jet Fighters, Proposals, Projects and Prototypes” by Tony Buttler Pub. Hikoki Publications.

This book will for many reveal many aircraft that they have never heard of, in other cases only half remembered.

What is covered in addition the aircraft themselves is how they came into being.

A view expressed by some modellers, is that like cars, companies design aircraft that the customer unwillingly buys in spite of the brilliant insight of the company. The book goes into how the various branches of the defence departments, are in discussion on an ongoing basis with manufacturers. Both making suggestions, outlining perceived wants and discussion of budgetary constraints. Out of this process a specification will sometimes arise, where companies make proposals.

In the case of the USA most serious specifications will give rise to a number of aircraft producers being contracted to supply a number of aircraft each. Again perhaps less well recognised will be a policy of a range of approaches, from conservative through to high reward with greater risk. Topical at the moment is the F35 (X35) and the Boeing X32.

The book may seem as described dull from the view point of many, who are more interested in personal experiences of flying an aircraft in theatre. Yet it really is a fascinating collection of pictures, drawings and stories how some aircraft made it into wide spread us, and others had differing fates.

Advert