Ruddy rudder

Snorbitz

imag0263.jpgI've have a concern over the rudder connection on my new CMPRO Zero. It seems a bit flakey to say the least. I've taken a piccy of the connection in question and for the life of me I can't decide on a more satisfactory option. The connections in the foreground are for elevator and work just fine, but its the single connection beyond them that is the issue....all i have is a single straight rod coming down fom the rudder above.The pic is looking up into the tail section from below.. Your thoughts as always would be appreciated. Thankyou

Edited By Snorbitz on 17/07/2014 08:11:18

Edited By Snorbitz on 17/07/2014 08:17:57

Advert

Highest stress will be between the horn and the tailwheel as it has to take any side forces on landing, taxying etc. On my Jungmeister I used closed loop with a spring in each wire so there is a little give in extreme circumstances. brass plate with a wheel collet soldered in the middle.

The Macchi has a sprung oleo for the tailwheel but the rudder torque rod is a 2mm wire plugged in the top of the oleo secured with a grub screw. If possible i would brace thay half former to the fuselage sides with triangular 1/16" ply gussets. Is it a glass fuselage?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 17/07/2014 08:33:01

Yes its a glass fuz. The original wire went rite through to the tail wheel but i cut the wire to seperate the 2...don't ask me why but its too late to go back now. I think a brace might be a good idea. other wise there's nothing to hold the wire from the rudder at its lowest point leaving it free to flex and i don't want that. Maybe i'll concentrate on the ruddr connection first and try to sort the tail wheel out later. A couple of springs to keep it central would be easyish to do but then it wouldn't be steerable. mmm its a toughy. Why oh why did i cut the wire.