changing from brushed to brushless motors

Alan Pennington

Advert

Alan, there's no real direct comparison particularly if the brushed motor used nickel cells.

Bear in mind that a brushless motor giving the same power will be lighter whilst one of the same weight will be potentialy much more powerful.

Best post details of the battery & prop used with the brushed motor, in fact why not say which model or give it's size & present AUW.

Thanks PatMc and Steve.

I was just going through the forum and just put up a post. I will blow the dust off the glider and give full details, as it has been such a long time since it has seen the light of day I was thinking of giving it an airing as there is a field at the back of our house which has just been cut for hay and is doing nothing.

Thanks for quick responce

Alan

Hi Alan,

I bought a S/H Protech Unlimited with a spare bashed but useable fuselage some time ago. I'm almost certain that the Early Bird used the same blown plastic fuselage & tail feathers.
The Unlimited had a 600 motor fixed to a plastic mount by a metal strap, the mount was secured to the fuselage by 2 PK screws either side & a third through the nose ring. It was(is) an aerobatic "warm liner" about 1.6m span but I fitted a spare 1.8m polyhedral wing to the spare fuselage & fly that as a thermal model.

The attached photos show the both versions, the original canopies were broken & I made fibre glass replacements which are slightly different shape. If these fuselages & tails are the same as your EB let me know & I'll post some details of the mods I made to install the motors & batteries. There are already some photos in my album in "My E-Gliders" section that might help.

Unlimited E Powered

Unlimited with brushless inrunner & 2200mAH 3s lipo - AUW 1165g.

Igor

Igor, uses same fuselage but with 1.8m wings, E-power 2815/920 brushless outrunner & Gens Ace 1550mAH 3s lipo - AUW 950g.

Hi Alan, not sure if I'm too late with some more detailed photos of the mods I made to Igor's fuselage but here goes anyway.

First I removed the existing plastic motor mount.

Igor (1).jpg

The fuselage nose ring is sandwiched between a beech ply disc (thickness to suit spinner/collet) & a fibre glass disc. I used a cheap (Aldi) hole saw to cut the discs, then enlarged the central hole. Glue doesn't hold to the fus material but a drop of cyano holds the inner disc temporarily in place whilst the motor is fitted.

Igor (2).jpg

This agricultural piece of 1/8 beech ply was used to hold the rud & elev servos when the fus was used as a slope soaring, it now helps to maintain stiffness now that the motor mount has been removed. The piece of plastic sticking up was cut from scrap material heat bent to shape. It's cyanoed to the existing plastic frame & acts as the battery front stop, it's overhang is flexible enough to clip the battery in place.

Igor (3) .jpg

The Rx is housed in foam plastic under the battery rear stop which is cyanoed to the original plastic frame. Note - the position of the battery was decided in order to get the cg about right before the two stops were actually cyanoed in place. No nose weight has been found necessary.

Igor (4) .jpg

General layout showing the smaller servos fitted to a couple of plastic cross pieces cyanoed to the original frame & bowden cable used in place of the push rods.

Igor (5).jpg

Shows how the battery fits. The esc is left unfixed underneath.

Igor (6).jpg

Battery rear stop is clearer in this photo.

Igor (7).jpg

The fuselage is moulded with some right thrust which means there's more clearance for the motor wires on that side - something to bear in mind when fitting the motor. As an extra precaution I've cut a length from a largish cable tie, sprung it into place to hold the wires against the fus. It's secured by a couple of self tapping screws through the holes meant for the original motor mount fixing screws.

igor in red.jpg

Once the canopy is in place the rough & ready interior isn't apparent & though the model's still no beauty it has a surprisingly good performance.

Hi PatMc

You say that you used an e-power 2815/920 in your Igor.

Not knowing how the details work, does 28 mean the diameter don't now what the 15 stands for and the 920 is this the kv?

I have been looking on Hobbyking web site for the same size motor I think. It says it's a Ntm prop drive series 28-26 1100kv/252kw. Product code NTM2826-1100. How close is this to yours?

Alan

Edited By Alan Pennington on 09/08/2014 14:54:56

Hi Alan,
I'm not sure how the E-power reference numbers work, the 2815/920 is bigger than 28mm dia but it is 920kv. Here is the power combo I use - all bought from Giant Shark : e-max motor, 25A ESC, 1550 battery I also got this 40mm spinner & fitted it with Graupner 9x5 blades. At full power this combo pulls 21A, 250W @ 9600rpm. I only ever have full throttle for 30sec bursts (enough to get the model to 200 metres +) I haven't had any problems with the ESC but the current margin might be considered tight so I think this 30A ESC would be a good alternative.
IIRC the shaft was as shown in the GS photos & had to be reversed.

An alternative motor, I think worth considering, is this HK Gliderdrive. It's about the same dia but without a rotating case to worry about, a bit longer, slightly heavier & roughly the same kv. If you buy from HK this Plush 30 ESC is probably identical to the GS one & there's plenty of suitable lipos to choose from.

One problem I've noticed that GS are out of stock of the spinners & only HK's International warehouse stock any suitable 38mm or 40mm ones.