Is this a speed controller problem?

Michael  Wright

Nick, a friend of mine is having problems with his F4 Corsair. To be precise, when the throttle stick on his Spektrum DX6I is at the bottom, (low ) the motor does not turn...this is good,...the problem is that full revs on the motor is reached by the time the stick is in its center position, moving the stick from the center to full (up) there is no change in motor responce.

I thought that it may be a 'radio' problem, but it does not happen with the other two planes bound to his transmitter, they throttle in the way you would expect....leading me to think we need to look at the speed controller.

Any insights you have would be most welcome.

The plane is Dynam

FMS F4U-4 Corsair V3 1400 Series ARTF

Kind regards

Mike Wright

Has he told the ESC what the throttle range is?

This is usually done by having everything set off, then putting the throttle to max, then switching the TX on, then connecting the battery in the plane (setting the receiver and ECS on). To be done with the plane suitably restrained in case there is a fault and the ESC puts the motor straight into full throttle.

The ESC should leave the motor at rest, and learn the full setting. The throttle is then brought back to low, and the ESC will arm. From then on the ESC should remember the full throttle setting. Many ESCs do this, though perhaps not all.

I think graham is right - its almost certainly simply a case of teaching the ESC the full throttle range. Graham's description of how to do this is great, but I would add one detail. Many ESC go into full programming mode when you turn them on with the throttle lever at max. You will know this because the ESC will emit a series of steady bleeps. Do not pause after this point! As soon as the first batch of steady bleeps finish, whip the throttle to zero! The reason is if you pause another set of bleeps will probably sound and take you to the next option in the ESC programming menu! Throttle range is pretty well always the first option.

A final word of advice - take the prop off while you do all this!

BEB

• 3 weeks later...