Large 1/4 scale j3 cub plan. where to get it printed?

Brent

Im currently working on my winter project which is a j3, iv started by locating some plans but struggling to find anywhere to print them off.

the fuselage plan dimensions are 90.56 inch x 41.33 inch.

the plans need to be printed off asap so I can measure up how much materials I need so I can have my friend start and cut and weld up the fuse because its being built out of stainless steel tubing rather then balsa. im trying to make a model of a j3 that not only measures up to be scale but is bilt nearly identical to the full size which also means it will be built up ribs rather then just sheet ribs.

heres a quick sample of the fus I should end up with once completed. So any info of where I could get the welding jig plan sheet printed would be great because it will take some time for my friend to fabricate the fus and hopefully il be out of hospital when its due to be completed so I can start a proper build thread on the build of this model whilst I recover. Any help would be great thanks guys

cub structure

Advert

Hi Brent.

Unless your local print shop (Staples for instance) can print out that size, I suggest one of the companies who produce commercial posters. You may still have to tile the plan though.

Regarding steel tube at 1/4 scale. I would check with the ekspurts on here first. There is going to be a lot of weight at the tail end. Aluminium alloy may be a better suggestion. I know a few large scale builders have used that in the past. 1/3 scale maybe. 1/4 scale, not so sure.

I have just aquired a 1/4 scale Taylorcraft (similar) which is wood built. By the time you have it all fitted out and covered you would need a large lump of lead (+ engine) at the front. This would in turn increase the wing load and make for one very heavy model.

P.S.

I don't mind you proving me wrong though. smiley

I here your concerns but the original designer to the cub I want o build does say it works out slightly lighter and stronger then a wooden built model. only marginally of coarse. however after watching some of his videos of his model flying I have to say it fly's amazingly well indeed . I just cannot afford over 2500 pounds for his kit that he offers. especially when my friend is a highly skilled engineer who makes custom parts for motor bikes and has all the equipment to build the fuselage. I could actually build the model for less then 700 that's covered. so all that money im saving could buy a nice satio twin cyl for up front and a nice radio install complete with a dam good quality failsafe etc and still have money left over. here's the link to his page with all the info about his. **LINK**

Even Toni Clark a well know modeler recommends and stocks his kits. you should also look at his 1/3 scale grass hopper and his bucker jungmeister and storch.

you and me both, I need to do something to keep my mind occupied and this is just the thing. been unable to work at the moment and being stuck in hospital is getting me down so I am doing as much research as I can because of all the free time I have. |I want to build a scale model that's unique and stands out from the rest and cubs are everywhere you look at the fields. however this will be different from the rest due to its construction. if I had the money id buy the kit but I feel I will have more fun doing this from scratch. I need to print the plans so I can make adjustment's to the plans to make it how I want it but because I am no good on cad or anything like that I will have to do it the old fashioned way lol. print out the plan n then make adjustments which will be easier for me then have the plan reprinted and a digital copy kept in pdf format.

I will be redesigning the wing to be scale. t already uses the full size aero foil however I want to build the ribs as per the full size and use the same mounting methods as the full size. so I have lots to do whilst I am stuck in here. then there's locating company's to supply the awquard size steel tubes and so forth. I am hoping by the time iv finished my chemo and had my stomach out I will have all the materials ready and plans printed so I can make a start while I recover and have the remainder of my chemo as an outpatient. my health will be ok docs say because a only 28 and they caught the cancer in early stage so all will be ok thank god. but having this project helps keep my mind of the down side and gives me something positive to work to and plan . I just feel lucky I have a friend who is a very experienced engineer to help me with this or it would not be possible to for me to do this project. my friend also thinks he could make an aluminum cowl for the cub as a per the full size. He can make aluminum tanks of all shapes n sizes with complex curves so a small cowl will be easy I am sure for him. il put a link to his website and some of you can view pictures of his work. he can also weld broken fins on engines and so forth.

**LINK**

Paul can make just about anything and does it all from home. like I say his work and welding and fabricating is some of the highest quality I have ever seen and he thinks this will be an easy job providing we make accurate jigs to assemble and weld the frame in. I am trying to persuade him to look into offering his services to modelers because anyone making large scale aircraft will benefit from his skills for making one off component's and items providing you give him the drawing and measurements of the part required.

thanks Matian, the metal work is beyond my skill but the wooden side isn't. hopefully Paul will teach me when building the fuselage. That way I can start and extend my skills of this hobby . with wood and fiberglass we reach a limit. that's when its time to tackle something like this to extend our skill and take our models to the next step and I intend to for the pleasure of being able to do so plus I am sure the fuselage will outlast the lifetime of wood. meaning a model with longer lifespan just requiring a full restoration like the full size every so many years. I cant wait to get started but for now I have a massive shopping list of parts and steel tube to order bit buy bit before I can do anything. at least when I get home in a few months I will have a big pile of parcels to open and lay out for the first picture to start the build thread with . We are also going to build Pavalos scale under carriage because at most it will cost around 30 quid for the materials which is better then paying Robart 100 quid plus for there's. I haven't decided on an engine for this project but defiantly want a twin cylinder to have the cylinders hanging out of the cowl like the full size. so if anyone has any recommendations for a suitable engine that should do the trick please do comment. iv always had single cylinder engines and never owned a petrol one. don't want the best because I cant afford the best and probably will have settle for a good second hand engine for this cub, I am saving to get a dam good radio setup in 2.4ghz because 35mhz just aint guna cut it I think haha. time to upgrade like I should have done years ago. Thanks for the reply's because its driving my motivation into starting this project.

Posted by Trevor Rushton on 11/09/2014 21:17:57:

Brent, not sure where you are, but if you can find a reprographic company in your yellow pages they will probably be equipped to print large architectural plans. There is one in Sutton Surrey that I have used before for large plans

trevor

Thanks for that Trevor, I am currently in St James's in Leeds but do live in Barnsley South Yorkshire I will see what I can find on the online yellow pages. thanks for that info, That now means tomorrow will be a day of phone calls and emails to hopefully find one of the company's can help me. Thanks ever so much again. Its nice to find an online forum with people that are only too pleased to help it defiantly makes it a nice environment that's as close to the atmosphere of being with fellow flyers down at the field.