Getting an edf plane in the air - Or not !

dan c 1

Advert

on the subject of the fan being at the "wrong " end, I bought a F35 from a pal , who said it would not fly !

he was right !! so I decided to put a more powerfull fan combo in it , It was an ARTF so the fan and servos were all pre-assembled, When I dug the fan assy out , it had been factory built the wrong way round !!

Just turning it the correct way had made a fast very flyable little plane .

cheers

Took the T-45 for a try out this eve...

From a standing throw it was literally trying to pull out of my hands so I did'nt have to put much effort into launching. Very easy on my own to launch. It really does fly fantastic with the fan the right way round!!!. So ridiculously fast, I had to fly on half throttle tbh just to keep an eye on it. So even on one 3s 2200 battery I had about 8 minutes. Shame as I've gone and ordered a 4s battery which I am thinking will be stupidly uncontrollable now at 14.8v.

What great fun.

dan c1

Glad it worked.

I would indeed be cautious with the 4s. Not only will it be a great deal more powerful (by nearly 50%) but this will be because it will be drawing many more amps, so watch you don't fry the ESC. A Watt meter to check the actual current draw?

​It will also be heavier so it will have to fly a bit faster as well.

My advice would be wait until you are completely confident flying on the 3s before you try the 4s .

I think that is a good advice Simon. It's a handful on the 3s. The additional weight will be welcome though as I was having trouble balancing with the 3s. The motor I have is a fair weight so I had to shove the battery way forward

As for the Watt meter, is there a cheapy I can get? I have to stop spending money on this hobby !!!!

I need to get to grips with this watts thing. No other way to calculate it?

After my flight, the batteries were not very warm, maybe slightly more than on the bixler flights but I could'nt get to the phoenix as its inside the fuse screwed in.

There is no problem with this little plane on a 6s!! Balances perfectly !!

Yes its fast , but perfectly stable and flyable , Just dont pull very high "G" turns !

its flown by a "newbie " who I started to teach last Christmas , and its his only plane !!!

That must say something about his abilities .

and dont fly electric without checking things with a wattmeter its ESC suicide !

cheers

Dan c 1

The one Dave linked to is very good but if you don't want to spend that sort of money I use one of these.

£6.98 including delivery!

Basic but it does the job. Gives both a continuous reading of Volts, Amps and Watts and stores the peak values of each as well. You just plug it in between the battery and ESC.

I bought mine off e-bay with ready fitted male & female Deans connectors (which is what I use) at no extra cost but it now seems at that price you have to solder on your own to suite. Delivery from China can take quite a while too - 6-9 weeks!

Dan c 1

I don't believe there is an absolute over current protection for ESCs. Yes they can have thermal cut outs to prevent them getting too hot and two layers of power down to protect the LiPo from being over discharged but an instant current over load will 'blow' one or more of the MOSFETS in the ESC in a millisecond. They act as fuses!

Until you have a Watt meter I would stick to 3s until you can test exactly how close to the ESC limit you are. The usual recommendation is not to exceed 75% of the ESC rating.