Creating rates on the 'Inputs' tab

Bob Cotsford

In the past I've set up rates as three lines on each input, each input having an assigned rate switch, eg:

Ele Max Elevator 100% SAup

Ele Mid Elevator 80% SA-

Ele Min Elevator 60% SAdown

However, it's now recommended practise to set up 100% rate lines as the last on a control, and not to put a switch on it. The reasoning is that if a switch should develop a fault or faulty programming logic (ie if you use logical switches for rates and end up with a null value) then the rates logic will fail to select any input line, if the 100% line has no switch assigned it will become the default.

If you convert from an earlier firmware to 2.x.x then the conversion process will actually set this up as an extra mix line.

So OpenTx recommended setup would be:

Ele Mid Elevator 80% SA-

Ele Min Elevator 60% SAdown

Ele Max Elevator 100% - no switch assigned

Advert

Good point this Bob. I suppose the chances of a switch going are fairly low - but hey its like programming a failsafe - you hope to never need it but if you do then you want it to work! Besides, an extra line of programming cost nothing and one day it could save a model from disaster.

On the wider point, I think as Taranis (and later Tx's using OS) develops I think we are likely to see more of this sort of "good programming practice" stuff emerging which is very good.

BEB

Just a thought, and not wanting to be too pedantic about this, but a standard 3 position toggle switch is usually a "centre off" item. So the centre connection (which will inform the Tx of position) is either connected to one end, the other end, or nothing. So I'm struggling to see any switch failure mechanism that would be a problem at all.

Having said that, this is still best practice programming.

Maybe it's as well to point out what is BAD programming. This is from an RCG thread.

Example 1
[I1} Ele Weight {100%) Source (Ele)

GOOD ( As no switch is assigned it is always active )

Example 2
[I1} Ele Weight {100%) Source (Ele) Switch (SA↓ )

BAD ( When switch is not down there is no value assigned}.

If the only line you have is the second example, then there are two switch positions where you have no elevator!