JP Green Sleeve alternative motor

Martin Whybrow

At the Modelair event this weekend, I was lucky to spot a JP Green Sleeve still boxed marked down to £45. I came home with it and decided to do some reasearch; it appears that it's rather underpowered with its 600 size brushed motor, so plan to fit a brushless motor instead. Has anyone here done a similar conversion and, if so, what did you fit?

Advert

I have no experience of this model but since no one else has replied yet might I suggest having a look at the HK Gliderdrive motors. Either of them should be a direct replacement fit for a 600 size with bags more power on a bigger prop but without the concerns of the exposed rotating case in a narrow nose that may be an issue with a conventional outrunner.

I used a 3536-1100 outrunner (an XYH?) in my Montana, which has a fuselage almost identical to the Greensleeve, and it worked fine. As PatMc says though, space is tight in the nose and it took a bit of care to get the motor wires back past the rotating can. You could probably get away with something with a smaller diameter but the weight of the 3536 helped keep the CG in the right place. I still use a 7 cell nimh pack (again to help keep the cg forward, and because I am tight fisted) and it goes well on an 11x6 prop. Much better than on the original 600 and with the added advantage of a lot less interference as I am still using 35 MHz radio (see above).

Posted by PatMc on 29/09/2014 14:55:48:

I have no experience of this model but since no one else has replied yet might I suggest having a look at the HK Gliderdrive motors. Either of them should be a direct replacement fit for a 600 size with bags more power on a bigger prop but without the concerns of the exposed rotating case in a narrow nose that may be an issue with a conventional outrunner.

Thanks, but I think it may be a bit overpowered, the motors rated at 680W, the model weighs in at 3lb 2oz all up, so this would certainly climb well surprise it's also a bit pricey, at lest as far as HK goes. I did find the Turnigy 480S BL Inrunner Motor 1500kv which looks suitable, although it's in a 480 sized can, but of course it's not in stock.

Hi Martin,

In my setup the motor only draws about 17A, with just 8V from the battery that's just 136W. And it's ample. The big prop is very efficient and the plane climbs rapidly at about 45-50 degrees. I could prop it up a bit and get more, or go to a 3S lipo, but I don't feel the need. That motor you mentioned will pull about 350W on 3S and a 10x6 apparently, which is quite a lot. But it would certainly do the job. I'd prefer something with a lower Kv and a bigger prop myself though.