whirlwind

welkin (c).jpgwelkin and dave chinery.jpgI've considered asking Dylan to look at this one for me as well. I've already got the Supermarine 317 laser cut parts he's done for me and built most of the fuselage, just holding it there for a bit while I work out some of the detail stuff. The Welkin is on hold because I had problems getting the cg right with the very short nose, so want to alter it and carry a Lipo in each nacelle instead of one in the fuselage to resolve the problem without having to overload it with ballast. I designed it from scratch and once I've resolved the cg issue I think it's got the ingredients for a great flyer. I designed and built a 58" version a few years back, but due to severe family problems gave it to Dave Chinnery, who finished it off and flew it very well. Here it is, although he got the colour scheme wrong. Pardon me for disrupting your thread, I'll leave it there. It's just that the Whirlwind was more significant than is often realised and its'welkin.jpg hardly known son, the Welkin, played a huge part in the development of high altitude flight, particularly as it's design of pressure cabin lead to development of the Normalair Garrett pressurisation business which became so significant in airliners later on.

Thanks Geoff. You can see the relationship to the Whirlwind, it's just stretched in every way. Around 100 were built, including one as a two seater night fighter prototype. They were tested by Air Fighting Development Unit at Wittering and mine bears the markings of one of those. Because the expected high altitude German bombing campaign fizzled out and they found that Spitfires could go far higher than anyone expected, they didn't enter squadron service. However they were stored in flying condition and test flown in case they were needed, I believe they weren't scrapped until 1951. Some were extensively used for high altitude development work.

So as you can see, the general belief that the Whirlwind was a dead end wasn't true, it's just that the perceived need for its' successor turned out to be wrong. After completing the work on the Welkin Ted Petter left Westland for English Electric and designed the Canberra. He had looked at the possibility of re-engining the Welkin with jets but he'd made the wing too thick and it had compressibility problems at high speed, like the Typhoon did, so really that was a non-starter. Not many know that the Whirlwind was the grandad of the Canberra bomber.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Me too Peter, see my earlier postings. The full page three-view drawings in the 4+ Publication are as good as you will find and include the two seater night fighter version, which with its' longer nose is easier from the cg point of view. This is the problem I had with my 1/12 scale version, not insoluble and I'll get back to it. The 58" version in the photo with Dave Chinnery above used heavier brushed can motors and didn't have the problem.

If it's of any interest to you, I can send you my hand drawn 70" plan, you might improve it or me.

Colin, if I wasn't committed to several other planes, I would certainly like a copy of your plan, with that said, it might be a good venture to have on the ready.

I do have the +4 publication, and I toyed with it a few models back, but a plan I could not find..thinking....ummm. PM me please

Barry

welkin 30-10-07 002.jpgwelkin 30-10-07 007.jpgwelkin 30-10-07 006.jpgwelkin 30-10-07 004.jpgA few more Welkin photos. I used the cabin pressurisation intake on the nose for cooling air into the fuselage for the battery mostly, probably not necessary. The wing ducts for the radiators etc. are fully functional and contain the ESCs. It has since occurred to me that it might be worth making alterations to the nacelles for retracts and also it would probably work with a pair of 30 four strokes. However, with this high aspect ratio wing, the next and probably next step would be to go bigger, perhaps I/8 scale, 105". 25 two strokes would be good, but there's always the issue of hiding the bulky silencers.welkin 30-10-07 001.jpgwelkin 30-10-07 003.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...