AcroWot ARTF Electric conversion

Hi,

I'm planning on converting my AcroWot ARTF from IC to Electric and need a little advice. I've had a read of a few threads on here and have gleaned a bit of info. But before I start buying things I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

My current thinking is a G60 motor or similar with a 5s of about 4000mAh capacity. As for props, maybe a 13x6 or so? I'm guessing really from piecing together bits of information from various threads. I'm also at a loss trying to figure out what ESC I should pair with the motor.

I'm not looking for out and out 3D performance, but would like it to be quite nippy with good vertical performance.

Any advice would be really gratefully received!

Advert

Hello Robin,

There is a thread already somewhere here. G60 9 ( a club member is using a HK 100A ESC - possibly overkill but the difference in price was only a few pounds) !) will be perfect on 14 X 7. If you PM I will send you pics of mine and another members conversion.

Hi Robin

Choose the Motor/Battery you need then choose the ESC to suit the max current your motor will draw

The motor you link to draws a max of 40Amp and on 5S (18.5v) would give a theoretical wattage of 720 Watts

Divide that by the weight (Lbs) of your Wot4 and that will give you watts/lb - I am guessing you should be over 100lb giving a sparkling performance, the ESC should be at least a 60amp one, better with an 80Amp

Thanks Dave, I think things are clearing somewhat.

So is the max current the max current motor could ever draw or the max it should be allowed draw? I think its the later, which implies checking with a watt meter and presumably if you are too close to the limit going down a size of prop - is that right?

r.

Posted by Robin Kearney on 03/10/2014 20:47:17:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think the biggest problem I have is figuring out what current a motor will draw for a given prop/voltage. Is there a way of calculating that?

r.

To get an estimate of prop size, motor amps, and model's performance I use WebOCalc. It only needs a few basic details inputting, and my experience is that it gives quite an accurate recommendation. Just go to the link, then click on 'Software' on the menu at the left.

Components can vary, even if they're the same make and same spec., so don't rely blindly on the estimate, or on what someone else says they're using. To find out what your setup is actually drawing, you need a wattmeter.

P.S. A motor will draw, or try to draw, as much current as it needs to drive whatever prop you put on it -- even to the extent that it will burn itself out if you put too big a prop on it sad  So, whenever we talk about maximum amps, we're usually talking about the motor's specified maximum amps.

Edited By Allan Bennett on 06/10/2014 20:37:05