FPV video power

I'm fancying dipping my toe in the world of FPV and looking at a 5.8 GHz set up, but I'm confused, I thought the max allowable transmission power was 25 mw, but everywhere I look there are 200 to 500 mw systems for sale, the sites (inc UK suppliers) don't say these are not for use in the UK, so am I OK to go with one of these?

Advert

Frank, I believe you're right with the 25mw output power. The thing with retailers selling higher power units in the UK is that like many things for sale in this country, they can legally sell them, but it doesn't necessarily mean you can legally use it!. It's probably allowed as they could be selling to places where it is legal to use.

I've always believed that the retailers should be required by law to include disclaimers when this is case. I don't believe a lot of people who use the higher powered units in this country are actually ignorant of this fact, but rather chance their arm that they won't get caught!.

You'll not get that far with just 25mW on 5.8gHz unless you use 'high gain' CP aerials. IMO Circular Polorised aerials are a must on 5.8gHz. Enforcement of the limits is by the 'light touch' principle. AFAIK there are not any teams of people roaming the contry monitoring FPV transmissions, just not cost effective. Its enforced on the principle of only taking action when there is a problem. 5.8gHz is rapidly attenuated and thus does not travel that far. You'll probably be flying at some remote counrty location and thus not cause any problems or even be noticed if you used 200mW/500mW.