Black horse Fieseler Storch

ARC

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

Have done a few static tests with my 110. 9 cells with a zoar 20x8 gave 52amps @1980watts. On 10s gave 67amps and 2250watts. With the max amps @65 i'd have to be carefull or prop down.

Aiming for approx 80w/lb the fully laden kit will be around 18lb this will require around 1440watts. Si I could either go 9s if extra weight is needed or possible 6/7cells and save a little weight.

Any thoughts out there on the above ?

80w/lb on such a draggy airframe potentially offers little to no reserve in certain circumstances, personally I would be upping that figure, 100w/lb would offer peace of mind and using 8s should be achievable for around 62A for 1800w.......I always aim for around 60A or as close to 10c as possible with such conversions to achieve reasonable AUW, good flight times and decent battery life (based on the more common size of packs you would use for a model this size).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scott,

I think you may be right. I think the power 110 even on 9s will be pushing it too its limits.

Have decided to drop in a G160 (245KV) and see how we go. 1st impressions are good with 63amps giving 2350w on 10cells. The motor is slighter longer than the 110 and about 150-200g heavier which will help which will help on both counts. Spins up nice and responds instantly with the 100amp hv esc.

Will drop a few pics on tonight if i can.

Hi ARC,

Bit of a coincidence...........mine arrived this morning !

I'm an electric man in the main and am going with a Rimfire 1.60 GPMG4795, 80a ESC, 6S 30C 4250 Lipo, 18X8 2 blade prop.

Haven't really got any actual figures yet as powertrain is only on order as of today so don't expect to be in possession until next week sometime.

Will bookmark this thread though and keep in touch.

SHAUN

Hi Shaun,

Had mine a while now, going together nicely. Pilots are crap tho, might use the bodies but replace the heads with something better.

By all accounts most set ups need lead up front to balance so unless your reconstructing the front end, 6s might need additional weight.

Just out of interest who supplied your kit and how much. prices are varying from 480 to 600+ for these.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes, just checked the date on your first post, only spotted it today when it popped up again along with my model this morning. Found mine at Kings Lynn Models for £460. I get nearly all my gear from Mike at RC Modelcentre but he couldn't get me one ( it seems there probably won't be any in the country now till sometime in Jan.).

He did the calcs for me as well as I'm really rubbish at that ! So, if you think my proposed powertrain is wrong then I'll blame him.........but he's not let me down yet.

Totally agree re the crew..........seriously plastic !! most likely going to get a couple of bespoke ones from Sean at Real Model Pilots, he did the ones in my Swordfish and he's just done me a set of turrets and full crew for my ASM Lancaster, that guy can do no wrong for me !

Right now I'm at my bench working out how I can make a better pair of oleos, I know the ones in the box have a bit of suspension but I think it may be a bit hard and definitely short of travel ( which is probably why it's hard ), I want more travel, a choice of springs, and scale sliding airfoil covers.

Taking the knife to ARTFs is what I do best, although I did promise myself that I would leave this one alone and fly it, but hey ho, lost control again!

SHAUN

Following on from that, does anyone know a source of aluminium airfoil section of approx. 55mm and 50mm chord ?

Obviously the plan is for the smaller to slide within the larger..........

K&S don't go up that far.............or have I got to make my own ? Won't be as good as a bought one !

Cheers, SHAUN.

Having been into hang gliding in the past made me think(thats a change). The uprights on the 'A' frame(the base bar is the part I'm holding and the vertical bits are what I'm refering to) are made of what you seek. I would think there are still one or two manufacturers about. Solar Wings is one I remeber from the past.

Check out my photo's and you'll find a pic of a broken one caused by an 'arrival'.

HTH

Edited By GONZO on 07/11/2014 10:42:04

Hi Shaun,

Your power train will work but not too sure if you'll have any reserve and sounds like your amps will be up in the 70's.

Those pilots look awsome and full bodied as well which is brill but @70 each is a bit steep for me. I'm going to try and fashion the kit ones into something more lifelike and i'll probably drop the rear pilot altogether.

Not sure on the struts, i think i'm going to fly and see how ot behaves. Our strip is quite good and not too hard so might make it easier.

Just deciding where to mount the esc , the obvious is under the mount in direct airflow but then that means my leads will cramped in with the lipos. There's room but not a lot. You should be fine on 6s its my bigger 10s that's making it tight.

Hi Andy,

Might be worth giving Sean a call, don't think I paid that much........I assume you found the pics in my album?

Haven't properly looked yet but there probably isn't room to get full bodies in there with the current servo and RX layout, also need to decide who the crew are....... Hitler, Goering, Steve McQueen................

Not running on 6s, that was a typo there's two of them so 12S. When the gear arrives next week I'm going to look at getting as much as possible right up front, haven't looked at that in any detail yet but there looks to be plenty of space there especially if I re-engineer the motor mount setup. It looks to me that the firewall is a long way back and could probably be moved but all that will have to wait until the gear arrives next week, I'm a great believer in letting the dog see the rabbit rather than drawings and rulers ! No nasty surprises that way ! I can also keep a weather eye on CG as it grows. I'll put stuff on this thread as the powertrain side of things develops and also of the oleos.

Hi Shaun,

Your swordfish is brill , real work of art.

Yes prices confirmed for 3/4 ww2 pilots unpainted £69, painted £89. Too much for me seeing as there no real cockpit to work with.

I'm going to build as is with lipos up to the bulkhead and then see how the cofg pans out. if a lot weight is needed up front then its time for a re-think

Hi Andy,

The destructions on the Storch are not too clear on a lot of things I'm thinking ! But Hey Ho, makes life interesting.

I guess that the answer to that question can probably only come from someone who's flying one.

Making interesting progress with my U/C now, off to Devon for a bit of shooting tomorrow so not much going to happen this weekend, but should have some pics to upload next week I hope.

Assume you got my PM re the axles........

After checking the weather this weekend Sat or Sun looks good to get the Storch up. Only got the Ailerons & flap servos to install/set up and its finished. I'm setting my cg from the slat leading edge, at least if its wrong it will just be nose heavy but flyable.

No scale or pilot stuff for now , just want to fly it to see how it handles, will "do it up" when happy.

Hi Shaun,

check your Aileron/Flap horns supplied with kit, mine were not drilled to allow the control rod to be pivoted. Be carefull on the drilling, get them off centre and you'll not get the rods in(ask me how I know)

Kits done and balanced, should be fun tomorrow as long as the strips not water logged. !!!!

Hi Shaun,

Maiden didn't go well, didn't even get off the ground. Despite the ground being boggy , the cg was way too forward. Resulted in a heavy nose over, cracking the cowl and prop.

I've flown plenty tail draggers but this one lifted the tail far too easy, should have quite really but thought i could balance on the elevator while increasing the throttle. Got my local model store sourcing a new cowl, once sorted I'm taking the cg from the wing leading edge or the thickest point of the wing they should be roughly the same.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for being the hero and I'm really sorry to hear about the damage, if you are going to struggle for the cowl let me know, I can easily pull a quick mould off mine and lay one up for you, it's no big deal. You could consider it a thank you for doing the test flying........

Shot Friday on a glorious Devon day ( too much sun really ), got back yesterday lunchtime a bit hungover still and absolutely scrap ! Haven't shot in Devon since the new hip 3 years ago and had totally forgotten how murderous the walking between pegs can be !

Made some good progress with the oleos today though.....sitting down !

Might attempt some pics but not sure if my email is working properly on my phone yet, had a new ISP installed at work Friday and may need to get No 2 son to work his magic tomorrow !

Cheers, SHAUN.

Hi Shaun,

Getting nowhere with a cowl, no stock anywhere in the uk and shipping in from abroad is way too much. I'd appreciate if you can knock us one up , i don't mind paying for the materials and your time to do it.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

No surprises there then ! I thought that might be the case, so I gave my cowl to my fibreglass guy yesterday !

Much easier to pull a mould now rather than having to repair a busted one to make a plug !

Decided it might be a good idea to have one by me. God help us if we ever need a canopy though !

He was halfway through the mould when I last checked so should have one late this week or early next all being well.

Will keep you in the loop Mate.

Cheers, SHAUN.

Excellent , thanks Shaun.

Got a new 20x8 prop and ready to go , going to leave the cowl off for the next flight as its a weak spot. Removed the lead upfront and going to balance from the leading edge. Have mailed a few other out there with Storches to see what they balanced too but no replies yet. Will hopefully get a reply before the next outing.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Shaun,

The work on the legs looks superb, along with the re-worked struts should help with our less than perfect flying strips we have in the uk.

I'd pull a few cowl's off if I were you as it seems they are very thin and vunerable out at the front. The rest seems well made and relatively sturdy .

Have been in contact with a fellow flyer from the Runcorn Flying club who posted a youtube flight of his storch a few yrs back. Its on a 4stroke and he still had to add 600grms of lead up fron to balance. The cg he set from the wing L.E . Apart from the dreadfull 90degree crosswind it looked ok to me , certainly not out of balance which would be the case. !!!

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

Mould should be finished tomorrow, will probably lay up a bit heavier than original as noseweight doesn't seem to be an issue.

Got the first oleo done this evening and it works a treat........really pleased with it !! Got 58mm of travel and the option to play with springs once it's been tried ( It all comes apart !! ) Wasn't sure I was going to be able to achieve that bit ! Bit more nice welding by my man on the axle stub as well.

Just got to do the lower tie links now and then get the paint out.

Just need to make sure to make the second one opposite hand !!!

img_0754.jpg