RC Cars

Phil 9

My son has had a few toy rc cars and loves them but they easily break and are usually scrap after that.

I would like to get something better with spares available

He is only six so I don’t want anything too fast but maybe something that can be upgraded as he grows. I was thinking an rc crawler might be good. I will also need a Tx for it as I dont really want him using my aircraft Tx.

Any recommendations?

Advert

I run my local RC racing club so get to see quite a few different chassis!

Are you using it on smooth tarmac or a bit rougher?

A reasonably good rock crawler with spares available isn't cheap. My Axial Wraith is low to mid range and was still around £330

A good cheap car for roads, footpathe and car parks would be either a tamiya tl-01 (4wd), m-03 mini (2wd) or tt-01(4wd) with more upgrades for racing

A good and almost indestructable car for grass and general bashing would be the Traxxas Rustler. My 10 year old has one and he abuses it something rotten but I've had to do very few repairs even after several years bashing from snow & sand, beaches & forest!

I also have a Traxxas Bandit which is almost exactly the same as the Rustler but with a buggy bodyshell & buggy wheels. It has a 9turn brushless motor in which makes it insanely fast and the only breakage after 4 years is a collapsed wheel bearing!

How about a Tamiya Grasshopper? I had one in ye olden days. Sturdy, spares are available and it has a smaller motor that can be upgraded when you are ready. A package deal is around the ?130 mark. I raced 1/10 off road for many years, until I lost my mojo

Posted by stuey on 09/10/2014 19:47:32:
How about a Tamiya Grasshopper? I had one in ye olden days. Sturdy, spares are available and it has a smaller motor that can be upgraded when you are ready. A package deal is around the ?130 mark. I raced 1/10 off road for many years, until I lost my mojo

An M Chassis race with 8 cars on tarmac/carpet would restore that mojo stuey! wink

That's a good point too Phil and one I try to stress to people getting into cars. Generally messing about & bashing about on your own will lose its appeal and get boring after a short while!

To ensure the longevity of you investment it's a good idea to start racing at a club or get some friends together for bashing sessions!