Easy Autogyro

Tom Wright  2

Tom, I think it might be better to do the build log as CAD drawings to start with as my build was a little different to the way we finished up at the end eh

I will build it again now my CF square tube has arrived ... looks quite nice and strong, don't think this stuff will break in a hurry and weight is 49 grams for the 750 mm length ... as I build I will take pics and post them here

Mean while here are some of the sections

Tony

image 008.jpg

image 000.jpg
image 001.jpg
image 018.jpg
image 021.jpg
image 024.jpg
image 023.jpg
image 022.jpg
image 025.jpg
image 026.jpg

Advert

Hi Tony

Looking at the excellent drawings you have posted to date, perhaps it would be an idea to make it clear to those looking in that they are not necessarily intended at this stage to be taken as a build instruction.

Your interpretation from the original design looks good but it is my policy to test fly any changes however small before releasing a design,although the original model based on my first hand experience seems to be very tolerant of some variations so its a fair bet that your final interpretation will perform as required but its best that nothing is left to chance. Please don't take my comments in any way as negative or patronising as I and others have been very impressed with your progress and enthusiasm shown to date on all fronts.

I guess you are busy right now building the model that will be shown here, we look forward to the flight test results, material list and the build blog to follow.

Best regards

Tom.

A video of Tonys latest proving flights, note how quickly he has mastered ROG smile. The model copes with the wind well but it looks a little out of trim as it appears to need a tad more left . Flying out of trim is a common newbie mistake and makes flying smoothly difficult and encourages over controlling which is evident at times.  Never the less all is well as the model was taken home with no repairs neededthumbs up.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 18/10/2014 16:09:16

Thanks Tom, it was quite windy too

Yes mate you are right, the pics are simply to give some idea of the way I am working on the plans

I will let Tom have the finished plans and drawings to check before posting them, I am also building another one from my drawings to make sure everything fits OK and when the model is ready, I will be going through all the same tests as Tom and I did with the prototype ...1. Fixed head, rudder / elevator only with small wing ... 2. single function head with small wing, rudder for ground control ... 3. remove wing

Hope this helps

Lockey

While Tony is busy with the project , just a reminder of the design aims for those looking in for the first time.

The model must be simple and cheap to build and address disorientation the the major issue encountered by most first time auto gyro pilots ,particularly the ones who go it alone due to lack of local help from experienced auto gyro pilots.

The design should enable the pilot to take a progressive approach to fully fledged single rotor flying in away that classic early mistakes are less likely to result in a broken model.

The viability of these aims have already been demonstrated by Tony who is very new to auto gyro flying except for a very short duration failure with another design.

Many first time failures have been due to the builder deviating from the build and materials specifications, and not seeking advice when things go wrong , the suggestion here is clear ,so don't keep launching a model in the hope it might eventually fly, build it right and get in touch if help is needed.

Tom.

Up date

Tony has very nearly completed the model drawings and photos this version uses a square carbon boom and fixed head that can be changed over to a active roll head in no time at all. His sequenced build guide is very clear and unambiguous which should ensure each model built should fly off the board in the same way as the example built by Tony.

More to come soon.

Tom.

Great video Tony , I am pleased that the model performs just like my original, and you have done a good job converting the simple data sent over by email. Try the additional flight exercises as suggested before going on to phase two flights with the rotor roll control activated.

Keep up the good workthumbs up

Tom.

I received the "Easy Auto gyro" plans from Tony today , they come on five A4 sheets with all parts printed to the correct scale so they can be directly transposed as templates.

The plans are supplemented by number indexed build sequence sheets so it is not necessary to constantly refer to the forum build blog which will be posted in due course .

We are still checking for errors and required additions , but if any one would like an early preview set just PM your e mail address to receive a free copy.

Tom.