Apache treat

Advert

Amazing experience. It's one thing to see an aircraft like this at an airshow but totally different to see one out of the blue - literally. Reminds me of the time I was flying a PA-28 when a Spitfire, MH434 flown by Paul Bonhomme flew alongside less than 100yards away. An experience of a lifetime!

On a day trip to Lundy a few years ago an air sea rescue Wessex carried out a practice pick-up from the ferry. The 'casualty' was first winched down to the ferry the the heli circled round and re-positioned to lower the winch-man who then collected the 'casualty. and was winched back up. During this time the ferry kept going at normal speed whilst the heli held its position. Just watching this from the ship's deck was worth the cost of the trip.

• 1 year later...

Best one I can recall (apart from the Spit and Hurricane from the then Air Historical Flight at RAF Coltishall that used to beat up our billets on Monday mornings when we were trying to get some kip after the midnight - 0800 watch duty) was helping supervise a bunch of secondary school kids on a weekend in Donegal (to help their spoken Irish). We took them on a day trip to Tory Island and had a demo of an AS365 Dauphin doing a winched landing and retrieval of a bod. Unfortunately on the way up he sort of flipped over and, for a while, was going up feet first until he managed to haul himself round

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 28/12/2015 00:49:53