Timbo, it's your fault

Just a thought Shaun is your battery to esc lead as short as possible? apparently this lead is the biggest culprit for errant noise causing glitches my beguine had similar probs till i put the esc and bty less than 4cm apart and incidently the rx in the rear half off the fuselage no probs since with range checks

Well I am not sure it is "the biggest culprit for errant noise " but you are correct in saying these leads should be kept short - the reason is more one of possible damage to the ESC through "back EMF" and many ESCs have very large capacitors on the input leads to help damp this out. keeping the battery leads short helps to channel the EMF back to the battery where it is dispersed so to speak, longer leads can negate this.

Certainly worth a try, until you eventually succumb to the holy grail of EDF that is 2.4Ghz

PS I know you say its not worth it for a £25 foamy, but then you will eventually be flying more electric models than IC anyway, and there are other benefits to 2.4 for almost ANY flier

( composite glider guiders will now leave the room )

Hmm... 

Confused now. I have the esc at the rear, next to the motor. The rx is in the nose. But are you saying I should put the rx, esc and battery together in the nose, and leave the motor on it's lonesome?

I put the esc at the rear for cooling.

As for the foil being connected to the -ve lead, I mentioned this at the field and just escaped without being stoned! Why connect it to the -ve?

I understand the reason for connecting to the -ve is to create an effective shield all noise is grounded to the bty and dissapated I THINK  the rec would need to be seperated from the bty / esc so no and the need to have the esc in a cooling flow off air prob negates my suggestion for shielding it just thought that as the esc seems to be the cause of the prob there might be an argument for isolating this noise at source rather than trying shield the bits it affects

The ideal placement of equipment in EDFs is always tricky - the one I am doing at the moment has 3 foot extensions from the battery to the ESC ! - apparantley others have built like this ( as per plan ) and reported no problems, but I am juggling things differently. Wrapping the receiver in foil is generally only considered effective against external microwave length signals and does little if nothing for internally generated interference.

To summarise, try to keep the esc and motor away from the receiver, dont route any wires ( including battery cables ) close to the receiver, use ferrites on all leads where they enter the receiver with at least 3 full turns through the ring. Keep battery to ESC leads as short as possible,( within the constraints ) and use twisted cables rather than flat for everything including servos. Use the best ESC you can afford, and also receiver.

Face Mecca and pray before every flight.

all points taken timbo esp the advice to face mecca er wich way is that seriously though the bit about twisted wire is this refering to internal costruction as every servo i've ever owned and all extension leads seem to be flat construction or am i missing somat