Stevens aero models liddle rod

Just thought I'd share this with you as I've yet to see one either on our local indoor circuit or even on here.

The Stevens aero models liddle rod is just one of many made by Stevens aero models colorado and distributed in the uk by micron models.

My better half had obviously been looking over my shoulder during the run up to xmas as this appeared in my stocking xmas morning.

The kit is fully laser cut and uses slot and tab construction and, honestly goes together in your hand, true and square 1st time, and incredibly quick.

Designed for the parkzone PKZ3351, PKZ3352, PKZUA1151 or Spektrum AR6400/AR6410 rx/servo ultra micro combo's, and uses the Parkzone PKZ3624 (P-51 Motor/Gearbox) plus EFL9051 (micro 4-Site prop) for motive power all run from the popular single cell lipo's used by most indoor/ultra micro flyers.

So what do you get for your money

4 12"x 4" laser cut parts sheets,

1 carbon rod for wing struts,

Wire and delrin wheels for the U/C,

wire for the push rods, velcro for the bty mount

and a comedy silhouette pilot.

dscn3584.jpg

You will need very basic tools, the hardware/electronics some thin and medium CA and some solite or similar ultralightweight covering material, (2m will prob cover 12 models)

Then over a two or three hours, depending on your tea/coffee intake requirements you should be able to produce this

dscn3586.jpg

and then this

dscn3587.jpg

dscn3588.jpg

dscn3589.jpg

Luckily I have the mechanics and electronics lurking in the back of the garage so this one should get its maiden on the 8th of jan at our next indoor meeting, where upon I'll report back with an update

Edited By Phil Winks on 26/12/2014 18:26:16

Advert

Here we go another relaxed hour at the kitchen table and she is ready for the maiden, I'll decorate her a little later.

The motor fitted

img_20141230_195431.jpg

img_20141230_195456.jpg

I went for the SuperMicro MX-Rx62H DSM2 Receiver Module sold by micron models as its somewhat cheaper than the spectrum ar6400 or the vapor module, Nicely it is a 5 channel with two ports for additional aileron servos, one normal and one reversed the on board servo's are by default rudder and elevator, but it can be simply programmed to aileron and elevator also if you want it can be programmed for delta wing and V tail, also the functions of the on board servo's can be swapped over should you require it, all in all a very versatile little unit.

Flight ready she has come out at 1.2oz just 0.1oz above the advertised flying weight, this is due to a slightly larger battery and the rx/servo combo is just a gr or two above the AR6400

img_20141230_195635.jpg

Having fitted the mechanics and checked the throws, and with it being very still and dry, if not a tad chilly out side I had to have a quick circuit of the garden, Let me tell you the apparently small control throws are more than enough, she's a lively little girl on the recommended throws but turn them down to 60% and she calms down a little, lots of grunt available from that tiny motor pulling her vertical at an alarming rate if allowed, so caution is advised on the throttle, the stall does produce a definite wing drop, caused I believe by the bty being mounted to one side of the fuselage as when I swapped it to the other side the opposite wing dropped, However its difficult to see how this minor imbalance can be sorted unless I use a second bty to redress the balance. When the motor was fitted I tried the cog and without the rx and bty its spot on so both of these need to be pretty much on the cog.

In conclusion she is a lovely well designed craft that will need a slightly larger hall to display her capabilities to the full and I can't wait to try some of the Stevens aero models other kits.

Edited By Phil Winks on 30/12/2014 22:21:16

I totally agree Alan this one has got me hooked, somewhat different to the swarms of Vapor's 4site's and micro sticks that infest most indoor flying venues and although only 3 channel I believe she will prove to be incredibly agile, I did view Stevens claim that all manner of manouvres are possible with some skepticism, but I'm tempted to give those claims some credence now.

I've only looped mine, not sure I'm brave enough to try rolling with only rudder and not much dihedral in a small gym, but it puts a smile on my face and I'm tempted by the Piper Vagabond and the Avro Baby they do. I like the idea of building a good flying model quickly and cheaply and I also liked how complete the kit was. No little nik-naks to buy.

Phil,

I am sure you will enjoy this one.

They fly really nicely, and any damage is easily repaired with a drop of cyano.

Can I suggest you check out the Mountain Models range, also sold by Micron. They are very similar in design and construction (almost identical, in fact) to the Stevens range.

My brother and I have built quite a number of them (10 altogether), in, fact I have just today finished the Stevens Aero DH53 Hummingbird, and I am looking forward to flying at our next indoor meet in a couple of weeks.

Andy was right I flew her this evening in our local indoor flat green bowling club so not a huge hall certainly restricted height about 60m long and 20m wide and the smile is still on my face, she's lively, as the short outdoor flight suggested but still quite controllable and little if any vices in the stall, slow ish high alpha passes are perfectly possible. Caution if your a vapor pilot though, she'll make you want to sell it !!! I nearly fell asleep flying the vapor after this one cheeky I can see with a larger hall she'll loop with ease getting a roll out of her may be a bit of a challenge though, where she'll excell is, in my mind, on an indoor pylon racing circuit, she can turn very tightly indeed, almost within twice her own length at approx half speed, and top speed eats sky like a very hungry thing thats starving laugh so glad she can turn quickly or the heli boys at the far end of the hall would've been a tad cross lol.

So in brief she's a KEEPER.

Next from this kit range for me is I think the diddle bug ok a slower craft but I suspect as much fun, I'll report back when Micron have them back in stock

Lively certainly is the word Phil! Mine had a few fixes before I got the hang of her I've never managed a roll, but looping is perfectly possible in the hall I used to fly at. As you say mini pylon racing would be a laugh although I never managed to persuade anybody else to build one.

I also built the S-Pou, which is a lovely little thing and always draws admiring glances whenever it is flown. I put the build of that on here somewhere!