A 'micro' DH Vampire

Simon Chaddock

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

It does fly. This is its second flight.

A nightmare to see being small and silver so the 5 minute flight has been heavily edited. Adequate power and reasonable endurance at cruise . Roll ratye is reasonable but the airframe drag is high compared to its weight so even at full power it can only do a tiny loop.

Still I suppose I shouldn't grumble. Any plane you can fly and land undamaged is 'successful'. wink 2

It looks and feels quick due to its rather small size although at 7oz/sqft I doubt if it actually more than about 20 mph.

In aerodynamic terms it is not a great success. The 'stick and tissue' surface, particularly the wing, seems to create a lot of drag however with about 240W/lb available there is enough 'push' to overcome it but as a result its glide is no great shakes!

It also drops the left wing at the stall and thus tends to 'roll out' of a loop unless the speed is kept up which is not that easy with its high drag.

By comparison the Canberra (which I also flew) is much better mannered executing loops and rolls with ease and it has an excellent glide..

Maybe the bigger and all Depron Venom will be better.