A 'micro' DH Vampire

Simon Chaddock

My normal rule is "Do not start the next build until the last one is flying properly" however as far as the Canberra is concerned the winter weather has defeated me!

So another small EDF!

With its small Goblin turbo jet the Vampire inlets and exhausts are hopeless for an EDF but as it had a larg diameter centrifugal compressor, unlike the Canberra, an EDF will fit easily enough.

For a number of reasons this build will start from a FF balsa kit, actually a 25" span design originally published by Jetex themselves to be powered not surprisingly by a Jetex 100.

My idea is to convert it to an EDF and RC.

The original plan as downloaded from Outerzone. Really only 'stand off ' scale but simple enough construction. The 'printwood' formers are included in the download.

Vampire Jetex Original

A quick look suggested a 40mm EDF would just about fit. The exhaust duct shown would be 85% of the FSA and the combined area of the inlets would be close to 100% FSA. Good enough!

The plan was going to need quite a few alterations.

First the huge FF dihedral could be reduced to scale proportions and then a symmetrical section tailplane along with working out how to actually fit the EDF and its duct inside the fuselage. Finally the down loaded plan was not very accurate as in some views the L&R sides were different sizes!

I had to resort to 'select/copy/flip/paste to make sure both side in all the view were truly identical.

After a couple of hours playing on the PC.

Vampire 40mm EDF

Still just about recognisable as the Jetex Vampire.

The fuselage comes first. wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 30/01/2015 15:22:09

Advert

The other reason I chose this particular plan was I already had a 40mm fan and ESC bought as spares for my Depron Concorde and a featherweight Lemon 4ch 2.4 radio. The intention is to use the same battery as the Canberra so apart from a couple of 2.5g servos all the electrics are sorted.

I am a firm believer in 'light' rather than 'powerful' which in electric terms means it is easier to get significant endurance so my fan is more modest (and cheaper) than Bill's suggestion - an AEO 6 blade unit. It may only deliver 4oz thrust but it weighs half as much and only draws 10A on a 2s.

Continuing the lighter theme the Vampire will still be tissue covered but the structure a 'composite' of Depron and balsa.

Well that's the plan.

I like the idea of composite balsa and Depron with a tissue or on the larger types, silk, nylon or even film covering. Enormous potential here, I hope that more pick up on the idea. Surface has only been scratched so far.

Another great subject Simon, I note it's based on the original Mk1 with rectangular fins and long span wings. I've got a brand new Jetex PAA Loader still in the box if you want to try it!

Colin

You got me puzzled with the reference to long span wings.

As far as I have been able to find out the wing remained unchanged until the advent of the FB5 when the rounded tips were clipped back by a foot and the new fin shape with 'acorn' fairings were added.

On with the build.

The fuselage is being built on and around the EDF itself. All the formers will be 3mm Depron.

40mm EDF+F6

To give an idea of size the fuselage is 10.5" (265mm) long

The paper thrust tube is formed around a turned wooden mandrel.

Thrust tube mandrel

The thrust tube supports formers F7 & F8. In conjunction with F6 these formers support the wing root rib which in turn support formers F4 & F5.

Intake+Root Rib

Before the fuselage goes any further the internal bifurcated inlet duct (in 2mm Depron) has to be put in place. Far to complicated (for me anyway!) to attempt to draw out so it will have to be fabricated piecemeal by eye! smile o

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 31/01/2015 23:41:18

Hi Simon. The "pointed" fins replaced the original shape on the second production version of the Vampire, the F3, in 1946, along with a lower tailplane. The F2 had the original fins and a Nene engine, but didn't go into service with the RAF.

You're right about the wings, the main production version was the FB5 and that had the shorter wings. What you're building is the original F1. Nothing wrong with that mate.

Ever so fiddly to do and not to easy to see but the bifurcated duct goes in.

Intake top

Intake side

The big advantage is that the duct adds significant rigidity to the structure ahead of EDF, indeed, when the Depron battery box is added all the fuselage formers will end up internally supported. The balsa stringers will thus just provide the surface outline and support the tissue.

As a structure it is the exact opposite of my usual 'empty' stressed skin monocoque! wink 2

The 2x1mm stringers started.

2x1mm stringers

Each slot in the former is cut with a 1/32" diamond jewellers file which cuts the Depron very easily. The stringer is a tight fit which holds it in place while the POR sets.

The fuselage stringing complete.

Stringer complete

The wing is Depron with 3mm ribs, 6mm leading and 2mm trailing edge.

LH wing

The spar has 2x1mm Balsa flanges with 2mm Depron shear web between the ribs.

LH wing flanges

It is amazing just how little balsa is actually being used! wink 2

As Depron is more flexible than balsa it needs aditional support between the ribs to resist the shrink forces of the tissue.

By using braces rather than gussets it is possible to support the trailing edge at both 1/3 and 2/3 the distance between the ribs.

Wing braces

The thicker leading edge only needs support at the mid point and being full diagonal bracing it also provides significant drag stiffness to the structure.

The wing root inlet is made of 2mm Depron.

Wing root inlet 3

It also adds considerable strength and stiffness to the wing root..

Wing root inlet 2

Having worked out how to ake one wing I have just got to make another the same! wink 2

The complete wing. Exactly 25" (635mm) span.

Wing complete

It may look odd with all the bracing but it is required when using Depron leading and trailing edges yet it adds very little weight, just over 1g for all the bracing. The big diagonal rib is to provide support for booms.

In fact the wing very little balsa in it just 4 strips of 2x1mm. All the rest is Depron. 

The booms are a built up hollow Depron 'tubes' sanded to shape but with an inset 2x1mm balsa 'spar' top and bottom.

Boom spar

Not easy to take a picture of the inside of the boom.

Boom hollow

Each boom weighs 0.07oz (1.9g)

The tail feathers are next.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 13/02/2015 00:06:59

Speed?

Well it is very small and being retired helps! wink 2

For sheer 'bulk' speed you only have to look at Tony's builds!

The tiny Lemon 4ch 'featherweight'  is simply glued to the back of the wing spar.

Radio on spar

The 13A fuse gives some ides of the size.

Strictly it is a "shockie" radio but the Vampire is so small you wont be able to see it very far away. wink 2

The 2.5g aileron servo just fits within the wing. It lies flush with the wing underside.

Aileron servo underside

Once both aileron servos are in and tested the wings can be 'tissued'

As this stage it looks like it should weigh about 5oz 140g) all up with a 950mAh 2s.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 13/02/2015 21:30:37

Covering the wings allowed the boom to glued on, although the area over the radio had to be left off.

Tissue wings and tail

With the boom in place all the installation of the radio could be completed and tested.

Radio instal complete

Then I discovered I had run out of model memories on my DX6i and the servo direction was different to all the other aileron/elevator planes so I cannot even 'double up' on an existing memory!

Slow progress the bits seem to get ever more fiddly.

The aileron top tape hinged.

Aileron tape hinge

All Depron except the leading edge.

The battery hatch and the windscreen.

Battery hatch1

Like the fuselage all Depron except for the stringers.

I fear I will have to mould the remaining part of the canopy!

The 950mAh 2s in place with the JST connector lying on top.Battery in

Its all a pretty tight fit.

Keith

There is no mention of the CofG on the plan. I expect the original instructions did but they are not included. I would expect placing the CofG on the main spar at the wing root would be something like right.

I will probably set it up a bit ahead of that as I am using a symmetrical tailplane whereas the original had a lifting section.

The mixed Depron/stringer construction is interesting and works well but I have a sneaking suspicion that by the time the tissue is water proofed and painted it will actually be slightly heavier than if the whole thing had been simply sheeted in 2mm Depron with balsa used just in the spar flanges. wink 2