Best Beginner Heli

ted hughes

Apologies if there is already threads on this which I have missed.

If there is, please guide me to them.

I was given a Syma 107 for xmas, really loved it and have just bought a VLToys v-911, which I am finding difficult to hover.

Could anyone advise me as to what is the best hobby-grade heli I should get?

I'm thinking I might budget up to £150.

I have seen some advertised as BNF, I guess that means I have to buy a spectrum Tx, I'd think I'd rather have a RTF model to avoid the extra expense.

Any advice gratefully received!

Try the V912 or the Heliguy Firefly.

Both a little bigger than the V911 making them that much more stable, but you are then getting close to the indoor/outdoor divide line unless you have a reasonable sized lounge.

I have the V912 and to be honest, one of the best models I have ever been bought. For the price, it is superb quality and flies beautifully for what is considered a cheap Chinese alternative. It has increased my technique hugely to the point now that I am looking for a 450 sized Heli.

I fly it both indoors, delicately (Don't want to hit too much with the rotor head speed) and on calm days in my garden which it handles with ease.

Hope that helps.

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 08/02/2015 13:42:21

I've got a little baby v911 and I love it. There is a tweak to make the controls less sensitive and make it a bit easier. It involves moving the armatures on the servo arm to the inner most hole. There are a number of mods to tame this little baby, You've also been spoiled by the Syma's incredible stability and a bit more perseverance with the 911 should eventually pay off. In the mean time the v912 is already on my this years christmas list.

Alan

Edited By FastFlyer Smyth on 08/02/2015 14:35:39

From the heading of the thread.... Logged on to say that it's hard to beat a v911... But then saw you were struggling with it. If it's right it will jump to to left a little when it takes off, and you will need to get it up out of ground effect. To try and fly it 6 inches off the floor is a mistake. I wonder if you know anyone who could try it for you to check its ok. It is possible that there is a problem with yours of course.

Posted by GrahamC on 08/02/2015 14:47:59:

From the heading of the thread.... Logged on to say that it's hard to beat a v911... But then saw you were struggling with it. If it's right it will jump to to left a little when it takes off, and you will need to get it up out of ground effect. To try and fly it 6 inches off the floor is a mistake. I wonder if you know anyone who could try it for you to check its ok. It is possible that there is a problem with yours of course.

Ah, that's is one of the main things I have been struggling with.- it skitters off to left on take off, then becomes more stable at height. I thought perhaps it was set up wrong. I shall persevere!

Thanks to all who have contributed.I think a sky dancer may be next!

Posted by GrahamC on 08/02/2015 14:47:59:

If you look at the landing gear there are 2 little mouldings on the bottom left of the skids to try to compensate the ground effect.

Yep it's cashing in! Expect to pay more for an item shipped from within the UK. You choice check out banggood on the net. It will be coming from China and you might get charged import duty. Btw which transmitter do you have with the v911? You might be able to use the one you have with a v912. Banggood will sell you airframe only.