A better servo?

After about 5 hours air time my Travel Air developed a 'funny noise' .  On investigation this appears to be because the Futaba S148 rudder servo has worn bearings (and possibly output gears).; it was new servo when fitted. The result is that the rudder has a small amount of play around the neutral position.  It  looks like the elevator servo, also an S148, is developing the same problem.  Can anyone suggest a more robust servo of the same size?  Do I need ball bearing supported output shaft?  And suggestions that are not going to break the bank would be especially welcome!

Regards,

Steve 

Advert

I shouldnt think a SMALL amount of play in these servos is anything too worry about too much, especially on a simple machine like the travel air - after all precision aerobatics are not on the schedule. Of course, if the slop is so bad that control may be compromised, or safety of the installation etc, then change them. Mnay people swear by a ballraced output shaft, where loads are heavy, and there are some nice karbonite geared servos around presently too.

148's have no bearing in case the output shaft bearing is just the case and the case wears, I only use them for throttle, I have switched to Hitec if I want a cheap standard servo. If you rock the servo arm itself there should only be slight play on a 148 servo, any more and the case is worn, it can be replaced but it's not worth it. 

Thanks for the replies guys.  It is like YakMad says, I can rock the rudder servo arm noticably more than, lets say, the throttle servo arm.   Control of the aircraft is ok  (or more likely I'm not good enough to notice the difference!) and I wouldn't do anything about it except that I can hear something buzzing on the aircraft during a slow pass and, being the cautious type, I'd prefer to fix the problem before something lets go. The first thing I did was check the hinges on all the control surfaces, all ok.  On ground running I've noticed that the rudder can vibrate when the engine is run at somewhere around 1/3 throttle and it produces a similar noise.  If I hold the rudder servo arm there doesn't seem to be any slop in the linkage back to the rudder so I think it's a servo problem.  Anyway, a new servo is going in so I hope the problem will go away.  I will also treble  check the linkages for slop at the same time.   YakMad, do know the number of the Hitec standard servo to which you refer? I assume Hitec servos are compatible with Futaba radio gear?  

Thanks again,

Steve 

Steve,

Try Hitec HS-322 or HS-325, the HS-325 would be the better option as it has a stronger gear train, if you shop around there is always deals going on these servos, all modern servos will be compatible with Futaba radio gear, so long as you are not  using some of their high end 2.4 ghz receivers, but that another story......... don't forget you can always use your 148's on your throttle as apart from the slop they are a fairly reliable servo.

Thanks for your help everyone.  A new servo went in tonight and the set-up seems much better. The new servo was another  S148 that  I had spare and I will monitor how it lasts.  I will be investing in some HS-325's when I attend one of the big shows in the near future. 

Thanks again for your advice,

Steve (who is hoping the weather forecasters have got it completely wrong for the bank holiday!).