Does Andy Ellison need all those gliders?

Read with interest Andy's run through of his glider inventory and why he needs them.  Some serious machines and money on display.

Couldn't help having a chuckle and reflecting on my glider fleet when I was seriously into slope and flat field soaring.

Algebra 100S:
Flown in wind speeds from 0 to 40 mph without drama. 

Algebra 2M:
In 1984 - it was seriously cool to put servos in the in the wings.  The E193 wing would handle 0 to 40 mph - the aerobatic wing needed at least 5 mph.  This was a superb all round glider built from the Dick Edmonds kit. It would fly faster than some of our guys' power trainers!

In 1979 Iearned to fly with an Orange Box - a free plan in Aero Modeller.  This too would handle anything up to 30 mph.

By the way - my local slope would barely register as a "proper slope".  If you've flown on Honey Hill in Northants you'll know what I mean!

Ah yes - the Orange Box!

I couldn't be bothered to build the taper in the tips so it was constant chord.  I also covered it in heavy weight tissue...

I too remember the "treed" landings and the numerous re-builds as a result.  But then magic happens.  You stop crashing and start landing.  You return home with the model in the same state as when you set off.  The epoxy remains in the tube.

I still remember the first time I kept it in the air for over an hour on the slope - and a 45 min flat field effort.

Happy days!