A 'not so micro' Venom

Simon Chaddock

Not much to see but the battery is now well forward, actually right up into the hollow nose cone.

Batterty foward

Also the trailing edge of the tailplane has been dropped by nearly 1.5 mm which corresponds to just over 2 degrees.

What a change in the weather from yesterday's near flat calm. It is now gusting 20 kts and set to get worse tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Not all things go to plan - I crashed it! sad

After the last modifications it was flying rather better so I was trying rather hard as well............
Not too hard to repair but it still felt like it was slightly tail heavy so 1/3 oz of lead was added in the nose.either side of the battery.
Nose weight
It seemed to do the trick.
For such a small low power EDF it certainly seems to 'eat up the sky' so the video had to be heavily edited to cover just the visible bits but it does manage basic aerobatics easily enough. It still glides well too.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 05/04/2015 20:47:07

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 05/04/2015 21:57:34:

That's another very efficient design, certainly a lesson in how to get get the most performance from a minimum power set-up. There doesn't appear to be much of a limit to what you can do. Simon.

I think i would have to agree with Colin , Very well Done ,

Steve thumbs up

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I took the opportunity to fly it for virtually a full battery charge with much of the flight at 'minimum cruise' power which tends to test things abit as you are flying quite close to the stall. Because of this I kept fairly high (and lost sight of it for several seconds as a result! smile o) but it managed a very satisfying 9 minutes on the timer and the LVC had still not kicked in.

It took 820mAh to recharge it. For a 9 minute flight that equates to an average of current of 5.5A. On its 2s that is just 40W . Not bad for a micro EDF.

Because it is so light its specific power is a bit higher at 100W/lb and at full power it is considerably higher at 240W/lb.

It would interesting to double it up to 64" span and I do have a spare 70mm EDF.

No no! I mustn't even think about it. I supply do not have the space! sad