Whirlwind No3

whirlwind fin acorn.jpgSo the with the tail feathers "nail down", it is time to start and add the acorn to them, polyurathane foam used, the tiny end bits will be balsa. The lot will then be covered with some thin weave F/G and filled with epoxy, ( West Systems)

Cheers

whirlwind acorn.jpg

Advert

whirlwind 0016 002.jpgSo the acorn has been built, and in the first stage of finish.

My orginonawhirlwind 0016 001.jpgl idea was to vac mould the nacelles in 2 parts ( L and R/H sides) after applying the moulds with Wests epoxy and cloth, I got to thinking that the moulds are exactly what is required, without the internal structure, my thoughts now is to continue with the cloth and epoxy, because I have 1/8" outside form to make up for the planking, on the rest of the nacelle, love for anyone to have a comment on my idea??? The only drawback will be to build a second set of moulds....uummmmdont know thinking thinking dont know 

I suppose I could use the exsisting ones, if the first 1/2 works out

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 07/05/2015 04:46:01

Edited By A.A. Barry on 07/05/2015 04:48:00

Barry, why not? I appreciate that if it goes wrong you need to start again, but why should it? You'll most likely be successful and the finished result will be tougher than the vac moulded options. They'll be slightly heavier, but most of the extra weight will be forward of the cg, so no harm in that, is there?

Referring back to earlier postings about the flaps, looking at your photos shows the way that the method of hinging connected to the nacelle means that do they slide back as they open, so they actually do increase the wing area, making them even more effective.

whirlwind tail wheel door 003.jpgwhirlwind tail wheel door 002.jpgThx Colin, I'mm still in 2 minds about it, I was almost going to give the idea away, until I read your comments, I like the idea of "vac forming" them, cleaner and quicker and all my work building one seems a shame not to use it.

On the other side of the coin ( is the Queen),is the Vac forming might not be as a good fitting as a made up cowl,....might just sleep on it

In the mean time pics of the tail wheel doors being built, the foam sits on 1/16 + 1/4" side rails, these are glued appox. 3/32" in from the outline, firstly to accept hinges and a slightly thicker edge to work with, at the moment waiting for the poly glue to set

Barry

whirlwind tail wheel door 001.jpg

Edited By A.A. Barry on 07/05/2015 11:06:05

Hopefully, this how it will work:- the tail wheel is a mechanical one driven by a Gold-n- rod and a servo, which will be "Y" connected to the electric U/C, the doors will be open and closed via 9g servos, this also connected via a seperate ch.(slave) and linked to the u/c ch 9 (master)the servos will go through a little device ( H/K ) delaying the operation....that's the A plan dont know

plan B will be just using a "paddle plate" to do the opening and closing dont know

Plan C is to use piano wire toque set to open, when the wheel retracts., it contacts a lever to pull the doors shutdont know 

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 07/05/2015 11:51:14

whirlwind nacelle joining.jpgSo a vac box was built and all sealed to extract the most vacuum as possible, using the correct type plastic 2 mm sheet it was time to "give it a go". a gas torch was liberally heated the sheet, until it sagged, placed over the mould and ....here is the result whirlwind vac trial 001.jpg

So not to waste any more time and $$'s, the vac box will be made redundant

the tail wheel retrieved and glass cloth added

The nacelle 1/2 s where joined and another coat of F/G and epoxy laid, the nacelle looks OK

whirlwind tailwheel door.jpg

Barry

image.jpgimage.jpgAll being well Barry, these will be in the post to you today. The deviations from scale are:- the fuselage is slightly flattened at the sides to simplify the build and although the wing is scale thickness, I used a flat bottom section. That is because this is designed for hand launching and I wanted the low speed characteristics to be good. Also the full-size wasn't wildly aerobatic, so I didn't see this as a problem. However, altering the drawing to show a semi-symmetrical section wouldn't be too difficult and if I introduced retracts, I'd do that. There are 3 degrees of wash-out included. Scale is 1/12, 70" wing-span. Thinking was after proving this one, scale up to 1/8, 105" wing-span. The alteration I plan to make to mine is to use two Lipos and put one in each nacelle instead of the one in the fuselage, to get the cg right without adding ballast. For your interest.image.jpg

Ok now for the U/C doors, the same proceedure as the other mouldings, false nacelle framework, foam and epoxy resin, after the epoxy was spread over the cloth, I used some "cling wrap" to get an even surface...well sort off. Left to dry in front of the open fire place, not too close, mind ya

whirlwind 0017 001.jpg

Edited By A.A. Barry on 17/05/2015 11:24:53

Edited By A.A. Barry on 17/05/2015 11:25:47

whirlwind 0018 003.jpgWell after much laying of F/G and epoxy all the nacelles,U/C and tailwheel doors they are done, albiet sanding and painting ( later), so onto mounting the motors and Esc's, the firewall (F5) is a long way back, so a ply box was built and mm 15mm "stand-offs" where added to bring the prop out to the right place. The Esc's and motor will get freash air via a 40mm fan and duct's through the exhaust outlet covers. The 40mm fa will be mounted on the inside of the cowl,

whirlwind 0018 motor setup.jpg