Whirlwind No3

This looks very promising Barry, it's going to be a good'n I'm sure.

Shocking to hear about Chris's Lipo Fire. I've got several of the things in the shed, along with a couple of gallons of glow fuel as well. I used to keep them outside in a brick "box", but stopped bothering. It looks as if I had better re-visit the subject, complacency has a habit of popping up and biting you where it really hurts.

Advert

Thx guys, Colin I have been thinking about that problem as well, I have about 20 assortment of lipos, do they self combust???,or is it only when charging?? Another factor could be a "cross connections" when in storage. I keep mine in the house.....uumm thinking

Cheers

Barry.

Edited By A.A. Barry on 06/04/2015 23:48:22

Hi Barry

Nice building, love the shape.

Lipo storage is only one aspect, the fire started when a 2 cell 2200 receiver pack exploded in my son's new giant scale aerobatic aircraft and he was not in the room when it happened. A fire speads much faster than you can imagine. we lost everything in the fire, including 2 dogs. My advice is to be more cautious with all items that could caus a fire and also make sure you have good insurance.

Chris

There is a thread on the Lipo issue, just search for Lipo fires and it comes up. A year or two back a modeller in Walsall had his house burned down as well because of this. I don't think that they self-combust without some instigating factor, but when they do burn they release oxygen, so that the fire becomes self-feeding and very high temperature.

There is a lot of information on this and I know that I need to be more careful. I have to confess that if any of mine start to swell, I dispose of them. In this respect, they seem to be variable. Some do, some don't, after varying rates of time. However, I won't start off a further technical discussion, the information is elsewhere and this is about Barry's Whirlwind, after all.

Chris, when I read your post of the 1st April which casually mentioned your house burning down due to a lipo fire, I presumed that you were just making an April Fool joke. My following post was supposed to be in the same vein.

Now that I have seen the above more recent posts I'm beginning to doubt myself! It looks like my presumption that everything on the April 1st was a leg pull was seriously wrong. In which case my post was well out of order!

David

David, no problem. The house fire was 09/11/2013 and life continues. I have written an article that will be in the other publication as I hope that some people might be able to learn something from the experience. I have been building and flying RC for over 44 years and had over 120 aircraft in the house, some were 30 years old.

I had communicated with Barry originally when I built my Whirlwind as I am from South Africa so you do not have that many people building this type of aircraft and when you read the blogs you can often get the wrong information. Barry sure knows his Whirlwinds and mine was a pleasure to fly. The plan that I had survived as it was in a shed so I am tempted to enlarge it and build another.

Chris

nacelles 002.jpgnacelle lh 1.jpgincidence meter.jpgtail set up.jpgNacelle planking... as I am going to mould forward of F5 it isn't necessary to plank that part, cutting the strips are a bit painful, but at lest I can bevel the edges as I go (appox 15deg), neater too

The tailplane has an incidence of 0 to the Fus datum, so a line was drawn along the fus, and so I could rest the meter on it a shelf was lightly glued onto the side, and the fuz then packed up to 0. As to the tailplane, a dummy elevator was glued to the tail plane T/E so the meter "legs" could be located on it. not glued down yet but I'm happy with that result, hopefully I can achieve the same result with the motors and wing dont know

thanks for the PM Chris

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 08/04/2015 10:58:13

whirlwind 0008 003.jpgwhirlwind 0008 002.jpgSo onto the nacelle interior, after much adj. of the retracts and U/C mount plate, I ended up raising the mount plate by 14mm to get the right "sit" for the retract and extended position, all of this had to be done before the other 1/2 formers added, it's worked out just fine.

The knitting is the wifes past time, ... not mine

whirlwind 0008 001.jpg

whirlwind 0009 003.jpgwhirlwind 0009 001.jpg

As ya can seethe rear of the nacelle rotates down with the flap, a lot of searching on the web, it could not provide me with a hinging diagram of the full size, so I improvised. the geometey for the flap to sit up on the wing with the nacelle angle, this is about as close as I could get it.With the 2 nacelles attached to flap, sideways movement is taken care of, but guides may be required.

whirlwind 0009 002.jpg

whirlwind 0010 004.jpgwhirlwind 0010 nacelle flap inside.jpg

Well that's it for now on this nacelle now for the other one. you can see the crossover link, the reason behind this is to increase the final rod length, the travel is now at 3.25", which gives me an angle defection of 46 deg. As #2 Whirly didn't require flaps to land ( on a longish runway ), I think that 46 deg should be ok

cheers

Barry

The nacelles have been trial fitted to the wing, I should have fitted them up before the top sheeting is glued on, mainly to get access to the required glue joints, but it is the age old Q, " what came first, the chicken or the egg". Without a building reference, it's a bit of a qualified guess, but I will move on . Any way they fitted up no problems

whirlwind 0012 001.jpg

whirlwind 0013 flap.jpgFor those with an interest in the Whirlwind, the operation of the model flap is quite unique, as it moves out and down, I whirlwind 0013 003.jpghave finally glued the nacelles to the wing and next is to fasten the large flap to the rear of them, all going well, it should work

Ailerons still to be made

Barry

Flap designs can be very interesting, like Gouge flaps on the Stirling and Youngman Flaps on the Firefly. You've got those well sorted Barry. I don't think they increase the wing area in the way that the Short and Fairey designs do though, do they? it is an ingenious mechanism though and you've managed to reproduce it.

Thx Colin, yea the Youngman design really does increase the area, I think that for a model Westland's idea on the Whirly should be suffice.

The problem ( 1 of many ) I had was to get the flap to fold down without "binding" the flap L/E on the ribs, hopefully I have relieved them enough, and the pivot point position for the operation to be smooth dont know

Cheers

whirlwind 0014 open.jpgwhirlwind 0014 part open.jpgAfter all the measuring, balsa scrap bits, pins on the plan, and a bit of brain ticking, the flap idea works, and firm with no end slop, there is a slight binding on the ribs on opening/closing, but this will be fixed with a bit of sandpaper.....am I satisfied?? you bet angel I am happy that the 2 10kg servos will do the job easily

I am considering guide rails on the ends, or at least wear plates dont know

So there ya have it....at last

Barry

whirlwind 0014 closed.jpg

Edited By A.A. Barry on 27/04/2015 11:28:12

whirlwind 0015 tail feathers.jpgwhirlwind 0015 rudder tube and drive.jpgEnough of the wing for now, back to the Fuz, Rudder x 2 built and the upper fin, the upper rudder has to be driven, so I used sq. tubing to achieve this, the tubing then slides up into another tube that is attached to the fin and passes through the tailplane, it is a bit tight, with the elevator arm also in that aera, juggle juggle, but finally fitted, incidence set, and then glued in situ

Till next time

Barry

whirlwind 0015 003.jpg