2.4Ghz module for FF9

winchweight

I am considering buying a 2.4Ghz module for my FF9. I am not prepared to replace the whole system, so please keep to modules. Which would you buy?

I have read the Assan thread on RCMF and it is probably favorite at the moment, with the Graupner system close behind. Cost is an issue, but so is reliablity and legality. I am venturing into leccy flying and I am fed up with glitches etc, so rather than buy expensive IPD / MPD rxs, which may or may not cure the problem, I am considering 2.4.

Advert

I am not familiar with the Assan stuff, but know that H/C sell em for around US$90 -  but is there a reason why you would not just get a Futaba module, which presumably will be totally compatible with your FF9 set, and ensure future service and repairs by Futaba, whereas the 3rd party modules may not.

You did say reliability and legallity is an issue, and surely these two boxes are ticked by using the fuby module? Circa £90 for the module...what price the Assan ?

I think I would be too, thats a good price for a combo set.

Perhaps you should just check out the availibility and price of the receivers that will mate with it - I honestly dont know if they will suit your criteria, and if there are no cheap basic low channel count versions for instance, then converting cheap foamies is gonna get a bit OOT..just a thought that's all.

PS a quick google around shows the graupner 2.4G 10 channel at £120 - yikes !!

This is interesting. It seems that the graupner IFS system is the same system as the american XPS system, and there appears to be a major problem with it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816989&page=2

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/fg239/23892-independent-tests-prove-lack-frequency-hopping-xps-51.html

Anyone here had any problems with it?

I thought Graupner had more in common with JR than XPS - and I too have heard bad stuff about the XPS.

Incidentally, the 3 channel is, I think, only intended for surface vehicles, and the 6 channel at 70 quid is a lot more than the spekky AR6100 which is available at around $50 US - even in the UK its only £40 - I have 6 of these and they perform brilliantly with superb range.

• 2 weeks later...

You wont, of course, get model match with the modular system - not an issue as such, but be aware of it.

Scott has had a few problems with the AR6200 - sold as full range....but ask Scott about that. I have had absolutely no issues whatsover with any of my spekky stuff - now approaching 20 receivers, and set has been in use almost a couple of years. 

Nope, only 16 at the moment - I dont crash these days he says clutching the woooden desk very firmly!

3 model  builds currently under way in one state or another...and another awaiting shipment from supplier when  HH get more stock ...you know the one I mean - so 4 receivers awaiting installation. DX7 model memory is now full.

Shaun Chant wrote (see)
Thanks Tim. By model match, you mean the system to prevent selecting the wrong model from the tx memory? If so, I'm not too worried about that.
Yep....has been useful on one occasion so far for me

The Graupner IFS system is the US XPS system, to cut a long story short, its like flying on PPM the only difference is that instead of glitches you get lockout, very scary on a 2M F3A plane, Graupner gave my supplier a full re-fund after pointing out the various threads reporting trouble with the XPS system, I have now heard of others getting re-funds without the trouble I went to, it is also interesting to note that the 400Ghz system that XPS was bringing out and was advertised on the Graupner web site has now been withdrawn from the Graupner site.

Mike

The Assan system is a single channel system that does not hop as opposed to the Spektrum which is two channel and the Futaba which seems to use them all at one time or another, seriously the Assan makes no false claims about its ability, but is only a single PPM channel system.

I have to admit I fly on a DX7 and a Futaba Zap with a Spektrum module with absolutly no problems of any shape, although if I was going to make the decision again I would probably go with the Futaba FASST sytem only because technically it seems to be more fail proof, I just wish it had smaller antenna like the Spektrum.

Mike

Mike,

That confirms something my local model shop has been saying in a round about way as they only sell Graupner radio equipment, (they lose alot of my business because of this) the owner who has strong views on everything and had been trying to convince me that the Futaba and Spectrum 2.4 system which I purchased elsewhere was a mistake, that I should have waited for 400 mhz but he could'nt  tell me when it would be available, but he had ordered the Graupner XPS system but could not get stock. I think he knew alot  more about the XPS problems then he let on and decided that all spread spectrum systems suffer the same problems which in my expierence they do not as I've had no problems with either Futaba or Spectrum systems. He won't be too happy that Graupner has dropped 400 mhz as he also said that Graupner had dropped Spectrum as well. I supposed they will just re-brand JR gear and charge more as they usually do, just to stay in the 2.4 market.

The reason that Graupner dropped Spektrum I think is that Spektrum would not supply them if they where going to stock XPS because of the conflict of interest, they also no longer stock JR for the same reason I think, Graupner have a long relationship with Multiplex in this regard.

I did not say the Graupner have dropped the 400 mhz gear only that it had been withdrawn from the web site, I don't know if they have dropped it or not, only that it has dissapeared.

Mike