VOODOOO MODELS

iawnski

HI TO ALL/ ANYONE HAD ONE OF THOSE PLANES THAT WAS JUST THAT PAIN IN THE BUM /NEVER FLEW  NICE RIGHT FROM THE START ////ALWAYS SOMETHING WRONG WITH HER////YOU TOOK HER HOME AFTER FLYING AND ALWAYS HAD TO DO SOMETHING TO HER//// IVE GOT ONE  A CM PRO DISCUS ALWAYS SOMETHING ////KEEP SAYING IM GOING TO TAKE ALL THE GEAR OUT AND PUT HER TO REST ////BUT WHAT HAPPENS I THINK ILL GIVE HER ONE LAST FLIGHT AND WOW SHE THE BEST MODEL IVE GOT FLYING -FANTASTIC- ROLLS- LOOPS -INVERTED - SO I LAND PERFECTLY ((( I LOVE HER)))  AND GO TO PICK HER UP AND TAKE HER BACK TO PITS /THEN I DISMANTLE HER PUT HER IN THE CAR WHAT HAPPENS -I CATCH THE WING IN THE  VAN BACK DOOR ( WHAT)// WELL SHES FLOWN LOVELY TODAYSO I GIVE HER ANOTHER CHANCE MAYBE NEXT TIME NOWT WILL HAPPEN ???????YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Advert

I had one called a Sailplanes International Axel. Instead of ailerons the whole wing panel rotated around the wing joiner. A very clean design, glass fuz and T tail that liked to go fast. The only problem was that as soon as you put any loading on the wings they locked solid, so a fast turn became a very fast spiral dive! I intended fixing the wings and chopping out some proper ailerons, but lost interest and sold it on.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26586/hi_sierra.jpg

My worst model - without any doubt was the MFA "High Sierra" 2M glider.

It looked very nice - had a fibre glass fuselage and veneered foam wings. The wing joiner blocks were certainly unconventional. A thick plastic root rib held the wire joiners at the root. A piece of dowel was then inserted vertically through the wing three inches or so past the root. This had a hole in it to accept the joiner tube. In effect, the joiners were cantilevered between the plastic root rib and the piece of dowel. I had zero confidence in it - but as I was sloping and not towing I let it pass.

However - in the air the model was a complete nightmare. It would tip stall on a whim - seemingly at any speed. Landings were always fraught affairs. The fuselage proved to be very brittle and needed constant repairs.

In over 30 years of model flying - this has proved to be my only dud - so I've got away lightly!