RC Colours spray paints

A word of caution:

As I only needed to paint the cowl, spats and u/c for the Jabberwock I thought I'd just use aerosols rather than setting up the compressor and spraygun.

RC Colours paints are supposed to be a match to Profilm/Oracover so I used it once before when rebuilding the front of my H9 Texan and I'd describe the colour match as 'near enough' - certainly not as good a match as Solarfilm and Solarlac. It has proved fuel proof for the 5% stuff I use. With the Jabberwock being a black and white scheme I thought I couldn't go far wrong.

I ordered 1 can each of black, white and hi-gloss clear which duly arrived from SMC and I set to. Note the cans are only 150ml so don't plan on covering large areas with it!

First task was to use a plastic primer on the f/g cowl and spats, and non-ferrous primer on the alloy u/c, all flatted down with wet'n'dry.

The black and white colour coats went on fine, even with less than ideal temperatures it flowed and gave a good finish with no bleed under the masking though I did have to swap the spray head on the black can as it seemed prone to blocking.

Next I started to clear coat it, and the first mist coat went on ok, followed by a second coat which left some light spatter on the spats. A third flow coat then went totally tits up on the cowl - maybe I hadn't shaken the can long enough or something but it started to spatter - really badly! It looked like a Permagrit board, and the can ran out very quickly so I couldn't get it to flow at all. The colours seemed to go a LOT further and flow much better. Once it had dried I cut it back and managed to preserve the underlying colour. Luckily I had some Flair clear gloss left over from a previous model and that covered ok leaving a nice gloss finish.

Looking at the white on the spats clearcoating with RC Colours wasn't such a good idea, it's far from clear with a distinct yellow tinge and quite a rough surface. Once again a coat of Flair clear has improved the finish but I'm stuck with the yellow tinge.

Has anyone else tried these paints? If so, how did you find them?

Advert