David Boddington D.H Tiger Moth Flying Circus Barnstormers

Hi i just given the plan of the D.H Tiger Moth by D.B originally presented with December 1986 RCM&E this is the 3 channel 46/3/4 span Flying Circus Barnstormers orange blue white scheme and i can not find much info on it DB sport and scale do one but is bigger span and electric and totally different construction

It was design to take a 20 -4 stroke engine and i just love to build it using a 26 FS i love the colour scheme but i can not find any pictures on Google image

looks like it was build in the days when every thing was made to last and probably a bit on the heavy side, the tails/fin/fuselage sides is solid 3/16 sheet but i intent to bring it alive with modern gear and maybe a bit lighter

and should i add aileron on the wings or do i just leave it 3 channel?

Dose any old timers out there know a bit more about this plan or if there is a pictures somewhere, any thing would help?

Thank you in advance

Advert

A copy of the magazine is on sale here and it possibly still has the colour poster of various Moths that came with the magazine.

Barnstormer Flying Circus was David Boddington and his brother's organisation..

David Boddington's son Andrew is now the editor of Aeromodeller magazine so he probably has photos of. his father and his uncle's full size Barnstormer plane. Boddo himself used to sell packs of photos of various planes so possibly Andrew has these too.

Edited By kc on 18/03/2015 11:28:03

Mike Whittard is a mistake- he wrote a completely different article in that issue.  David Boddington was the editor of RCME at the time the plan was published -it was surely his.  The plan which came with the magazine has his name on it  The plan is now available from MyHobbyStores here    When 'Boddo' became editor he sold DB Models to someone else.

A google search for "  Barnstormers flying circus + Moth "  produced a couple of photos which might help you.

Edited By kc on 18/03/2015 12:04:47

Please note that I revised my comments after you replied.

The fuselage sides are not 3/16 they are shown as 1/8 on the plan and also in the instructions. Lots of doublers are added though this allows the front to be tapered at F2. The magazine says Mathew Boddington ( David's nephew ) built the original model, nowadays I think he restores fullsize planes. The article notes that 2 of the full size planes were in Barnstormers colours - " Victor Tango & " Papa Juliet"

There is also a similar model of the DH 60 Moth in RCME December 1985, construction is similar.

Lots of Boddington models used the same wing section and i wouldn't be surprised if the wing ribs from a Tyro or a Tinker fitted exactly. DB Sport & Scale sell beautifully cut sets of ribs for these two models and others at reasonable prices as part of their PLan Packs

I have the magazines for both models but I have not built this model - actually I built the larger 58 inch version but it's not completed yet. It's so long since the design was published and way before the internet that I doubt a build log exists. There could be one for the 58 inch kit Tiger and construction is similar manner.

Try a google search for Mathew Boddington or Biggles biplane. Mathew has recently restored the Biggles I think and my memory says he at one time owned or restored the Barnstormers Tiger ( it was his father's of course) but my memory could be wrong!

I have spoken to db sport and models but they could help as Mr Boddington made so many plans they don't know about this one, so I rung Aeromodelller magazine and they are a bit perplex but hopefully the get back to me in time

Out of curiosity if the plan was presented in Dec 1989 RCM&E I can not find any stable holes on the plan Whysurprise

KC thanks once again but is not the construction I want to know but the actual aircraft colour scheme I have Google Mathew

and Biggles but is not the aircraft I am looking for and there is nothing there you mention you have the magazine could you please tell me is it the David Boddington plan in the magazine design by him and the cover shows this actual model Regards

Guiseppe, you seem to be rather desperate for pictures, so here are some scans from the original RCM&E article:

s21_9.jpg

s21_10.jpg

s21_13.jpg

I also take the liberty of adding some pictures of my own design Tiggy, which was partially based on the DB version, and is available as a kit from RBC Kits :

tiggie69.jpg

tiggie71.jpg

tiggie72.jpg

Max.

Of course the Biggles is a different looking plane, but the reason I mentioned it is because the Biggles article I saw a long time ago mentioned Mathew's other planes and I think one was the Barnstormers Moth.

The RCME article ( exactly as Max posted) says 3 channel but that ailerons could be fitted ( not shown on plan ) However the colours are a bit dark in the article and even darker in Max's scan. The 'poster' seems too purple as well. Somewhere in the recent RCME is the Mini Tyro by Andrew Boddington which was said to be done in "Boddington house colours " that may be the best guide to exact shade. The plan I have does not seem to have staple holes either -maybe it was in a polythene bag as some RCME magazine plans of that era were or maybe it was loose. Anyway the one I have came with the magazine - it has no plan number. Plan numbers for free plans were often allocated much later.

I have to say the RBC kit looks nice but seems much dearer than the DB Sport & Scale one at the same size! 

I believe it's correct to say that once Boddo became an editor in 1984 his plans went only to the magazine and no longer to DB Sport & Scale.  Although magazine plans pre 1984 occur both in MyHobbyStores and DB Sport & scale listings. 

Edited By kc on 18/03/2015 19:45:04

Posted by kc on 18/03/2015 19:39:45:

However the colours are a bit dark in the article and even darker in Max's scan. The 'poster' seems too purple as well.

kc, I am not sure which color you are referring to, blue or orange, but when you look at the real thing via the link I posted, it looks pretty much the same as the model.

Max.

Max, I am referring to what appears to be blue but might actually be black. The magazine article ( the actual magazine viewed in daylight) is almost the same as your scanned copy viewed on my computer screen and of course some variation occurs between some photos.

In his Mini Tyro article Andrew B says the same colour scheme was used on many Boddo models and the Barnstormers full size Moth. So that's the 'scale' colour whatever it is black or blue!

Hi Giuseppe,

Just came across this thread.

I built one of these 48" Tiger moths in both the three channel and four channel versions back in the early 90's.

The three channel version flew just great. It was a great plane easy to fit in the car fully rigged.

tiger moth no1 top view (1280x859).jpg

tiger moth no1 side view (1280x837).jpg

Covered in solarfilm in moth colours, the flying wires are elastic as shown on the plan I recall. This is the three channel version. The colour scheme is from an actual full size aircraft from the book "The Tiger Moth Story".

When I made the four channel wing and flew it, I preferred the three channel version, but then I had not been flying too long. Sadly the model did not last long due to engine failure in the wrong part of the sky and an inexperienced pilot.

I have always thought about building another one day.

hope this is of some help to you.

Regards

Robert