German Air Attache

kc

German Air Attache by Martin Simons published by Airlife in 1997

ISBN 1 85310 879 0

This is the true story of a glider pilot who became a WW2 diplomat. A biography written by well known aeromodeller author Martin Simons who met him through gliding.

It is a fascinating story and reads almost like a thriller. Very nice writing style and easy to read. The subject is Peter Reidel who seems to have known all the famous German pilots of the prewar era including Hanna Reitsch, Ernst Udet etc yet was not actually a Nazi supporter. It is an interesting different aspect of WW2 and the post war era in Europe. You might say Reidel was the germanic equivalent of Winkle Brown in the range of his aero contacts.

Anyone who is interested in flying or what really happened in WW2 and after will find this book well worthwhile. The escape part of the story is like the opposite of a POW escape story and just as thrilling.

My local library said the only copy in Essex had been lost and they wouldn't buy a copy. I persisted and argued that they should buy another copy and eventually they seem to have acquired a new copy . Quite frankly this is the type of book that should be in every library as it shows WW2 from a different perspective. This is important so that everyone and particularly younger generations can see WW2 and the pre and post war era in it's true perspective. Therefore I suggest you all try to persuade your local library to get a copy. So reserve it and that should force them to look for a copy.

If you think I am wrong to suggest that libraries spend money on this sort of book well say so AFTER you have read it! Bet you agree with me though...

German Air Attache by Martin Simons published by Airlife in 1997

ISBN 1 85310 879 0

If you do want to buy a copy then there are copies here on Amazon cheaply

Edited By kc on 01/04/2015 17:55:35

Advert