XPS X10 expander board

Bob Cotsford

I thought I'd pop a post on to show off this gizmo as I can see it could be useful in a few situations.

First here's what it is: X10 Expander

and what it looks like:

dscf0532[1].jpg

this little device takes a variety of input formats from Futaba, FrSky, Spectrum/JR or Graupner HOTTS receivers, even I think CPPM.  It decodes this to 10 servo ouputs with the option of an 11th servo output. All outputs can be configured to any channel, even multiple outputs off the same input channel.

The 11th set of pins can be configured as either an 11th servo output or as input from a second receiver for dual redundancy.  If the signal is lost or corrupted from the primary receiver it will switch over to the secondary.

It also has pads for direct power connection using heavy cables (no regulator though, so what goes in also goes to the servos and receivers!).

Failsafe is also taken care of and can be configured as required for all channels.

I'm using it to drive 6 devices (4 servos + 2 retract units) in my Sea Fury wing with two connectors, one of which is a second switched power supply. One switch feeds the receiver and also passes power to the X10 board via the 6A rated S-Bus cable while a second switch powers the X10 directly (second lead in the photo) giving a backup supply for the fuselage mounted gear again via the S-Bus connection. I guess the next step would be to put an X4R-SB in the wing as backup receiver, this would give some fallback in case the S-Bus cable developed a fault or disconnected itself though it would only control those servos connected to the X10 so wouldn't help much for a primary receiver failure.

Overkill? - on this size model yes but it's interesting to see what can be done and to develop it for larger/more complex models.. What is missing is an S-Bus feed through so that the secondary receiver could provide full redundancy on loss of the #1 receiver instead of just driving servos connected to the X10 board.

Wadaya think?cool

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 06/04/2015 11:19:02

Advert