Hitec HTS-Voice Telemetry Announce System 55841 for vario

Mike Phillips

Hi I am intending to buy one of these for my vario and i want the "beeps" of the to come from this module. I have got conflicting advice On a US forum

an article ( 2014) some people say the beeps come from the Tx yet supplier here says beeps come from the module. I would like ti know some info from an actual user Its possible I suppose that the firmware has been changed Mike

Advert

Thanks Frank. Most helpful. I have bought the vario unit and was considering the sound unit to make the bleep as you say it now appears that it doesn't. J Perkins the importer says it does. I queried it and they are going to test it. I am not hopeful. But will publish their reply here. A bit of backtracking could be involved as gliders uk also told me that the beeps come from the sound module

Mike, you can get it to beep by setting a climb value to cause an alarm, so yes it will beep, but it sounds like an alarm not the normal tones you get out of a vario. On my Multiplex system vario I get a high pitched tone when climbing which increases in intensity the stronger the climb and a low pitch tone when sinking (you can set a silent zone) which also gets more intense the faster you are descending, so the tone gives an indication of the strength of the lift or sink. I was with Roger this afternoon and If that's what you are after he is sure the Aurora can't provide that, he ended up buying this with one of these, which is probably a better (more sensitive) vario than the telemetry ones.

Very many thanks Frank haven't heard back from Perkins I suspect they will not be happy with their test!

I have a feeling Hyper Flight might be getting an order today at least I hadn't purchased the sound unit. I will put up for sale the Hitec telemetry unit as not likely to use any other of its functions as well as the vario sensor .I suspect the Hitec designer has never heard a real vario Thanks again for your assistance I used to fly full size and the sound of a vario bleep showing lift is still magical to me. I will publish Hitecs reply for others to read Mike

HI Frank heres the reply from Perkins not quite what I wanted to hear I shall go ahead with the one you recommended thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Morning Mike,

My service guys have testing and they have informed me that there is no sound on the Aurora radios.

The sound does indeed come from the HTS-voice unit but not in bleeps!

The voice will announce height as often as you require by means of programming with the HPP-22.

The earplug socket can be used to hear these announcements.

I hope this makes it all a little clearer now.

There's also the variometer package from wireless copilot here which I've used and a couple of clubmates have, it works as well as the radio system varios, but the range isn't as great. Roger did look at one but they don't seem to have the EU version in stock and couldn't tell him when it would be.

What are you planning to put it in?

Once again Frank many thanks will check out the other one for interest as haven't actually ordered yet My gliders all all electric powered:-

Seagull KA8, Topmodel Albatross, Rechard Mistral, Reichard Elipsoid I have to say all to be maidened as have been off flying for a while with eyes needing cataract ops so got into manic building/ purchasing during this time op now done and bought a Radian Pro (which I had previously) to get back into the swing of things Had first flights today and happily successful

KIndest regards Mike

• 2 years later...

Just come across this thread and want to correct the poor information from J Perkins. You do NOT need any other module to get audio feedback from the Hitec variometer. Whilst, as said, it does not give the same audio response as you would hear in full size, you do get feedback as to when you are in climb or sink.

When rising, you get a short tone from the Tx for every metre climbed. When in sink, it is a long tone. Works well in my Electra motor glider and shows the altitude real time on the Tx and stores the max height reached.

The only downside is that you cannot control the volume, nor plug in an ear piece so you need tolerant club mates!