Flashing Firmware to a Fr Sky X6R receiver

Ted Ward1

Can anyone please help me, late last year I purchased a Taranis plus radio, and two X6R RX's, They worked great in two of my models, rock solid. So recently I bought another two X6R receivers, which were to the new EU firmware standard.

Rather than mess with, and upgrade the Firmware on my original receivers which are in models and working well, I would prefer at the moment to download an older firmware (non EU) to my recently bought receivers so that they will bind with my Taranis plus.

Does anyone know how to flash firmware to a FrSky X6R receiver, and can anyone please help me, and describe this procedure.

Thanks

Advert

Mike, can you clarify what you mean by "a version" of 2.0.15 please?

I have 2.0.15, so does this automatically mean I have that capability?

If so, could you point me to documentation on how to do so please?

EDIT:- I found this page, so I think I have everything I need. Do you know if this will be standard in future software versions? It looks really useful.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 17/04/2015 17:59:47

Hi flight1

Having thought about it I think you are correct is saying that it would be better to upgrade the Taranis + firmware and then the two older receivers that are in models, because sooner or later the non EU receivers will not be supplied. so better to do it now.

Not quite sure which firmware to download, is it the one for the internal XJT and do I have to uncompress the file before I flash it.

The open tx version is taranis-plus-2.0.14 date 13/01/2015.

This feature will get into future versions, from 2.1 I believe. I felt there was a requirement NOW for this, so I added it in myself. I've had it in ersky9x for many months.

NOTE: Be very careful with the connections from the module connector to the SPort connector on the receiver, POWER and GROUND need to be CROSSED over.

EW: Yes, you will need to update both the internal XJT and the receivers. As long as you have the non-EU firmware for the receivers, you should always be able "downgrade" any new receivers.

Mike.

You need a cable that connects to pins at both ends. If you have such a cable, it is usually quite easy to remove the socket pins from the plastic housing and replace them swapped over. Just lift the small plastic tongue a bit with a pointed instrument and the socket pin should slide out.

Another way of connecting up is to just connect ground and signal to the receiver, and power the receiver from a normal Rx battery. Just wait to switch the receiver on unitl the firmware is searching for the device to update.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now loaded version 2.0.15 with maintenance mode on my Taranis plus, so that I can flash non eu firmware to my newly acquires X6R receivers which were supplies with eu firmware loaded..

But what programme do I use on my PC to expand frk file, which the Frsky firmware is supplied in. Any help would be appreciated.