Hobbyking Cri-Cri build 1778mm

I have long thought about getting the Hobbyking Cri-Cri (1778mm version), it was recently in the Easter sale from the European warehouse so I duly ordered one (total cost £146 inc p&p). I have decided to document the process of putting one together along with all the ups and downs along the way. There has been a build log over on RcGroups so I will be taking on board a few of the suggestions from others. Here is the link to the model. **LINK**

cri-cri.jpg img_0164-2.jpg

Edited By chris larkins on 19/04/2015 19:30:12

Edited By chris larkins on 19/04/2015 19:30:50

Advert

Thanks Bill, any comments along the way are welcome. The model arrived in the post yesterday so I have spent the afternoon deciding which equipment I will be fitting. The pics below are of the box, everything was securely packaged and so far it seems that the model is in good condition with no damage.

20150415_104735.jpg

20150415_104652.jpg

So after what seems like hours of research and internet searching I have finally decided what gear to equip the Cri-Cri with, orders have been placed so it will be the waiting game now.

Servos - to start off with there is an error in the instructions, it states 4 servos are required but it is actually 5 if you fit a (suggested) nose steering servo. The holes for the servos are pre-cut in both the wings and in the fin for the elevator servo. These holes are 23mmx12mm or 33mmx12mm including the mounting lugs, this pretty much limits you to fitting servos in the 12 gram range. I would have liked to have fitted at least 17g servos but this would require a little surgery. The holes for the rudder and steering servo are the same size but these could be easily enlarged as they just fit through the hole and screw directly to the plate rather than having a pre-cut step for the mounting lugs, I am going to fit a separate steering servo so I have decided to stick with the 12g servos. I have ordered some Corona DS-939MG servos as I have used these in the past with good results and they fit perfectly (plus I had one left over from another project), the specs are Weight: 12.5g, Torque: 2.5kg.cm, Speed: 0.14 sec/60, price: £4.96. **LINK**

ds-939mg.jpg

Motors - I have used Emax BL series motors on other projects and have found them to be great value, I will be running on 4s with 11x5.5 props so based on this I have selected the Emax BL2820/07. This should give me more than enough power and enable me to throttle back once airborne to give me decent flight times. These were ordered from model accessories and were £16.56 each. **LINK**

emax2820-7.jpg

ESC - I have gone with 70a (Opto) Red Brick ESC's as I wanted something simple without too many programming options, this should give me plenty of headroom as the amp draw should be way below 70a. I will be using a separate UBEC so have gone with ESC's that don't have a built in BEC. £12.68 each **LINK**

red brick 70a.jpg

UBEC - I have ordered a Dr Mad thrust UBEC, despite being labelled as a UBEC it is actually an SBEC. This have a 3A supply to the receiver and has an inbuilt Aux controlled on/off switch which has a 2A 5/6v output, I will use this to turn a landing light on/off using a spare receiver channel. £5.92 **LINK**

mad thrust ubec.jpg

Battery - I have ordered a Zippy 4s 5000mAh 30C Li-po, £24.51 **LINK**

zippy 5000.jpg

Chris, I think you're hardware choice is good for the model in question. I've had bomb proof service from Red Brick ESCs and use Zippy batteries in nearly all my leccy stuff. They seem far more resilient than the seemingly over hyped Nano Techs, in my experience anyway. I'm also using some of the Corona servos, albeit dedicated slim wing servos in gliders, but so far they're providing good service. There seems to be a bit of mixed opinion on these if you trawl the web, but like anything mass produced there'll always be the odd one that's duff. Not sure about the motors as I've not used this particular make.

Hi Dave, your maths are correct but the spec's on these Emax motors are a bit optimistic. In my experience and with a 5.5 pitch prop I have only achieved around two thirds of the watts that are quoted on the box. As soon as the motors and battery are delivered I will hook them up to my watt meter to see 'watts wot', I am expecting to see about 600 watts per side, which would work out at approx 200W per lb.

Hi Chris, I run one of these motors in a 3.5lb 65" aerobat. On 3s an 11x5.5 draws 22A and it will not quite hold a hover. On a 12x6 it draws 29A and it will climb vertically.

Examples will vary of course, and you will probably need a bit more speed, so perhaps an 11x7 would be more appropriate.

Ron

Posted by Brian Pearson on 19/04/2015 20:01:27:
Hi. Just finished mine. Always wanted a full size. ...nearly bought one years ago.
To me it's a thing of beauty.
Should maiden it this week. I'll put some pics up if I can work out how to.

I was wondering what motors and ESC's you used?

David

Whilst waiting for the bits to arrive I got on with hinging the ailerons, these are supplied with furry cyano type hinges (3 per aileron). It's probably overkill but force of habit made me pin these hinges with cocktail sticks, I will cover these with an off-cut of profilm later. I have also removed the film covering the hole for the servo in both of the wings and for the elevator servo in the fin, this shows the cut-out which limits you to a servo of 33mm in length (including the lugs) unless you want to perform some minor surgery.

20150420_185639.jpg

20150420_185705.jpg

20150420_192232.jpg

Nearly 20 years ago I went to the PFA rally at Cranfield. The originnal Cri Cri was being demonstrated there.

IT was flown through every aerobatic you can think of but my abiding memory was of the Cri Cri flying down the runway at about 10 to 15 feet height...INVERTED

The sound of that aircraft with its two little two strokes on tuned pipes was enough to curl your toes

I agree Peter, the fullsize makes quite an impression when you see it in action. I too first saw the cri-cri at Cranfield many years ago. My daughter witnessed one at an airshow last summer and she thought it was hilarious.

Most of the bits have arrived although I am still waiting for the speed controllers, I ordered four 11x5.5 props from Hobbyking with two of then clockwise rotation so I can set the model up with contra-rotating props. The batteries look fine although the leads are huge (8 AWG), I haven't stripped the heatshrink off yet but I very much doubt the wire will fit into an XT60 plug which I normally use.

20150421_200339.jpg

Posted by Peter Miller on 22/04/2015 08:19:08:

I also remember that a Frenchman built a 1:1 R/C version. His pilot was an inflatable one!!! I will go no further

Ooh, now I'm interested! I haven't got a Cri Cri, but where do we get these inflatable pilots from? smile p