FPV Spanky Up North, Rochdale Canal

Hi All,

Such a great holiday. All the family travelled up north from Devon to Sowerby Bridge near Manchester for a barge holiday on

the Rochdale Canal. With ages ranging from 8 to 82 between the 14 of us and also 3 dogs we had a good team to get both

barges through the 80+ locks in under a week.

While on the barge I got a total of three flights done which were all on the same day due to the rapidly changing weather.

I used an empty drinks bottle strapped to the top of my quad as a floatation device just in case the quad hit the water,

you can see it in the shadow of the quad at about 3:13 in the video.

All people in this video are family members and were aware I was flying around them within close proximity to the locks.

Thank you to Ian and Jason for being my spotters.

Best viewed full screen 1080p

Thanks Phil, it was such a great holiday but the Rochdale canal was a bit full on to enjoy like my other 'Narrowboat' holidays, the locks were just not spaced out enough to relax too much but I would still do it all again.

Spanky is the name of the frame I use, I have the RealFPV Spanky 5 for racing and close proximity and the RealFPV Spanky 6 for high speed long distance runs with a GoPro.

Posted by Phil Brooks on 22/04/2015 11:37:46:

Thanks Spanky, you've combined my two loves, modelflying and canals. Great shots, but if I can wear my pedantic hat for a moment, they're narrowboats, not barges, despite what John Sergeant says.

The Rochdale is hard work but the scenery as you get to the summit is excellent. I enjoyed the different perspective from the fpv video. We have visited it several times and the work is much harder when there are only two of you on a boat, but it is still worth it.

I would agree with you there, its very hard work but well worth the effort. Disappointed with the summit as the pub was shut seems he only opens when he choices to which is a shame as he missed a lot of money from the 14 of us being there.

Beautiful history along the canal and as always such nice people we met along the way. It must of been very hard work if there was only two of you but I guess you can just take your time and enjoy the trip more.

Posted by PeterF on 22/04/2015 23:21:11:

The Rochdale is hard work but the scenery as you get to the summit is excellent. I enjoyed the different perspective from the fpv video. We have visited it several times and the work is much harder when there are only two of you on a boat, but it is still worth it.