Ruhig Tigre Build Blog

Advert

PV, It's better on the model than in a box under the work bench I guess. There was a balsa one that stevo made but the engine wouldn't fit in there without a great deal of butchery.

I fitted a pilot, wish I hadn't , he's done nothing but moan about the visibility out the office so I mounted him off centre which shut him up for a bit. Now he thinks the plane looks lopsided and when am I going to fit a windscreen.

The windscreen is in the pipeline as are some decals.

I mislaid my adaptor for my airbrush so the decals are going to be vinyl ho hum.

Given up on the lopsided-ness

• 11 months later...

img_0064 (1).jpgimg_0063 (1).jpgDue, in part, to a deadstick from the hitherto trusty ngh 25 plane landed out in the very rough grass and thistles that border our strip.

During the landing the u/c dug in and was torn out but this sudden stop caused the model to cartwheel and the resultant whiplash caused all the longerons to fracture.

I've agonised for ages on the best form of repair and have bought 5 x 1 metre lengths of carbon fibre 6mm square tube to replace the broken longerons, I'm also going to fit torsion bar wire u/c in the wing centre section, but lack the facilities to bend the wire needed so I've drawn up a pattern and am taking it to a local engineering company to do the bizzo.

The pix around here show the fuse end of the damage, I'll completely replace the wooden structure aka oil rig with a carbon fibre one, cutting out the stubs from the front end to bond the carbon tubes in.

img_0062.jpg

img_0067.jpgimg_0066.jpgCF tubes arrived today, so out into the fresh air and cut out the old stubs of balsa from the front half of the wreck and cut the tailplane/rudder lump off the remains of the back.

Fortunately the front end has plenty of support for the longerons as you will be able to see from the attached pix.

Finish for today, will glue the cf longerons in tomorrow after cutting them to length.

img_0065 (1).jpg