Ruhig Tigre Build Blog

Thanks to popular demand and peer pressure (?) it's the green light yes

So what's going to follow?

I'll try and get as much detail in here as I can, and discuss any problems and issues. You will get to follow me from initial conception to completion and anything in between.

Plans & drawings

I have a set of borrowed plans from Percy V, which are for the smaller size. Percy has also lent me the original sketches of the +20% version as well. I'll bet these copied early next week at a local printing firm and return the originals.

Options and detail

Well it's hardly a detailed warbird with a million rivets, so I'll enhance it in other ways.

• Wing LEDs - Braincube will supply the tip LEDs, green & red for this; switched from the Tx
  • Servo per aileron - The wing is quite deep, and there looks plenty of room to bury the servo in there completely. Therefore all you will see is the pushrod exiting from the fuselage
  • Closed loop - on both elevators and rudder. Probably a servo on each elevator half. The idea is for the control wires to be seen as on a full size, within reason.
  • Power Plant (Robert's brother). Saito 100
  • Undercart - not thought this one through yet. I like the 'Turbulent' style and not the fuselage mounted sort. Suggestions welcome.

So no photos yet, stay tuned.

Advert

An idea of the costs so far...

• S/H Saito 100 = £125
  • Copying of plans = £22 (2 x A1 and 1 x 840mm x 2m)
  • All timber (Ply, LitePly and Balsa) from Balsa Cabin = £77 + postage

I've got quite a selection of balsa stock anyway, so hopefully I can make up any shortfall.

Obviously needed are: -

• Covering & Decals
  • Servos
  • Radio Rx & leads
  • Wheels
  • Dural U/C (If I don't go the Turbulent undercart route)
  • Hardware (Closed loop clevises, horns etc)
  • Windshield

That's enough for now!

The thoughts on the U/C are to get one from Carbon copy, laminate my own, or really go for it and make one based upon a Druine Turbulent.

This would involve additional strength in the wings and centre section, with beech block bearers for the U/C. I've got plans of a Turbulent including its U/C so I've got a base to work from, i.e. where to place the wheels in front of the CoG etc.

I've made the odd windshield from acetate "framed" in litho plate with rivets stamped in....

What scale pilot?

Here's my idea.

turbulent gear 1.jpg

Obviously that's a Turbulent, no prizes there.

The UC for the Tigre will be of piano wire construction, with a heavily reinforced centre section, with Beech bearers as is standard practice. Developing an idea from Mr. Hooper, the main 'spring' in the UC will come from the piano wire construction. I'll probably use some HK type oleos up into the wing, again reinforced, with a very light spring installed, probably not so much for tensioning the undercarraige but for a 'scale' appearance.

I'll try and aim to get the UC as far forwards as I can, without some heavy rake angle. I think inevitably the wheels will be further back than the original plan and the fuselage mounted version.

I have to admit that the twin looks great blush

Edited By Stevo on 11/07/2015 11:18:26

Oleos found: -

On the plan I measue 140 from axle centre to underside of wing. These may need a little fettling to work properly, but an upside to all this extra work is that the wheels will be further apart - if you have ever witnessed my landings you will understand that this is a bonus !

If there are any 1/4 scale buffs around - what size piano wire? for the main I'm guessing 8 gauge (4mm) for the main and 10 Gauge (3.2mm) for the training link? Coupled with a small degree of spring from the above oleo I guess this will be enough?

Scaling a Turbulent from some internet drawings gives me a wheelbase of  approx 1.3m, so the Tigre is roughly 1/4 or perhaps 1/3 scale, so a ball park figure for my newly designed wheelbase comes in at 320 -400mm, so plenty wide enough.

Edited By Stevo on 11/07/2015 12:06:41

Lots of measuring, scaling up done today.

Here's the rib template, that takes into account the increased size spars, dummy L.E., plus 1/4 x 3/8" reinforcement on the L.E..

Rib template

The above is the rib outline, so is encased in rib capping, and other 1/16" sheeting where appropriate.

Assembly order is Ribs, spars, reinforcing thne dummy LE. Then sheet and rib capping, and lastly L.E.

Edited By Stevo on 14/07/2015 18:27:31

That's my old garage shelves

OK, fuselage sides laminated and sized up. The wing seating is approximate - when I come to assemble the model I'll use an incidence gauge (as recommended by IanR devil). Now I know why people use CA... faster drying and the joint don't have to be that tight. So I impose upon the project Aliphatic and close joints, of course...

tigre 3.jpg

tigre 4.jpg

tigre 5.jpg

No turning back now!What ever have you done Percy V.?

Looked at the bulkheads, loads of room for SLEC orange lower down to keep the carb line in line with the tank!

Edited By Stevo on 18/07/2015 15:46:30

Edited By Stevo on 18/07/2015 15:48:47