Ruhig Tigre Build Blog

Advert

It's time and space that are the limiting factors these days - I am currently shedless and when I do get the new one built I have a stack of own designs waiting for bench space! That said, I may get around to doing another Tigre soon. On my rendition the shear webs were standard slices of 1/16" balsa, rather than the ply comb suggested on the plan which I felt was overly complicated. I also mounted the elevator servo in the tail, funfighter style. A 4s lip up front took care of balance with no lead added. Otherwise, I think I built it pretty much as per the plan. It was only the second model I had built from a plan but I found it very straightforward.

PS - the other model in the picture above was my new girlfriend at the time - I must have done something right; our daughter turned five last month!

Steveo,

Looks like a very interesting project, and I completely agree with your choice of power, the Saito is my favorite, I have ten of them.

Will be watching this build, it looks like one I'd like to add to my collection.

Jim

And if anyone wondered, here's the control cable outets for rudder and elevator (lower cable)... I'll get some snake outers in there later for the cables to go through.

tigre 26.jpg

tigre 27.jpg

The control cables for the elevator (upper) will exit through the stringers, so that won't be done until they are in place.

Edited By Stevo on 25/07/2015 18:19:38

Oh... and if you want a tip about those elongated holes.... Drill a couple side by side and file one into the other with a round needle file. Then, using the same file (preferably a diamond round needle file!) put the 'handle' into a chuck of a dremel, on low speed. then gradually insert the file and with a gentle back and forth action (!) bring the file from the 90 degrees until the desired angle is reached. Job done.

Ooh er.. and Percy, the engine is vertical (inverted)  I'm afraid... I could use a smaller mount and re-drill... but will look really untidy!  However I'll use a right angle knuckle and flexi pipe !

Edited By Stevo on 25/07/2015 18:41:35

Theres only 2-3mm from the lower edge of the tank to the wing, I had to cut it that fine. Ifthe tank was any further forward, the air vent would be quite minimal, and if the tank were higher it would be too high!

I've made the servo tray this morning - seems bizzare to make one now, but I need to plan the control cable runs. I'll get some pictures up after I've progressed this!

Somehow I thought the tail had a familiar look!

Edited By Stevo on 26/07/2015 12:24:48

Here you go!

tigre 28.jpg

On servo tray..

tigre 29.jpg

This puts the Rudder servo (right of picture) higher than the two elevator servos so the linkages don't foul each other.

tigre 30.jpg

And held in the airframe...

tigre 31.jpg

Edited By Stevo on 26/07/2015 15:35:14

Decking or coaming going on today. I edge jointed the 1/16 balsa first, rather than plank by plank. It takes two laminations of 1/6" balsa. Here it is glued on one edge (Aliphatic) and let dry, and wrapped around, trimmed and then glued.

tigre 36.jpg

All glued...

tigre 37.jpg

The coaming behind the pilot presented me with a problem. Its a vast expanse of balsa that is unsupported, and I can just see me picking up the aircraft with my stubby fingers and crushing it. After experimenting with some packing foam and ditching the idea, I decided to put in some 1/4" stringers, a little difficult as there were some compound angles where it meets the bulkhead behind the pilot.

I didnt want to notch that bulhead; i will show as it's directly behind the pilot so I used epoxy and some lite play gussetts.

tigre 33.jpg

I blindly accepted that the notches in the larger size drawing were accurate. Wrong! I had to re cut them symetrically. I left some 'holes' in the bulkhead for the stringers when I glue them in.

Heres the rear coaming going on...

tigre 34.jpg

And wrapped around...

tigre 35.jpg

Stay tuned.

Decking or coaming going on today. I edge jointed the 1/16 balsa first, rather than plank by plank. It takes two laminations of 1/6" balsa. Here it is glued on one edge (Aliphatic) and let dry, and wrapped around, trimmed and then glued.

tigre 36.jpg

All glued...

tigre 37.jpg

The coaming behind the pilot presented me with a problem. Its a vast expanse of balsa that is unsupported, and I can just see me picking up the aircraft with my stubby fingers and crushing it. After experimenting with some packing foam and ditching the idea, I decided to put in some 1/4" stringers, a little difficult as there were some compound angles where it meets the bulkhead behind the pilot.

I didnt want to notch that bulhead; i will show as it's directly behind the pilot so I used epoxy and some lite play gussetts.

tigre 33.jpg

I blindly accepted that the notches in the larger size drawing were accurate. Wrong! I had to re cut them symetrically. I left some 'holes' in the bulkhead for the stringers when I glue them in.

Heres the rear coaming going on...

tigre 34.jpg

And wrapped around...

tigre 35.jpg

Stay tuned.