Ruhig Tigre Build Blog

Just keeping this thread alive!

Ive made some modifications to the NavLight circuit - to take into account the increased current drain from the new wing LEDs. Together they draw over 600mA, and the on board 7805 could not cope with the sipkes as I'm using PWM to dim them of course. Dropped the extra voltage with four 1N54001s, and will look into a different series regulator later.

The garage has had a bit of a going over, boxing up all that spare balsa and getting it out of the way, plus an Audio player based on the Rasberry Pi, so I can access streaming radio stations and all my 10,000+ MP3s whilst working down there.

Hopefully later today I'll extend the centre section to full chord, and I'll look at the wing tips. It's a busy week coming up as I start my extra (2nd) job in Adult Education as an ICT Tutor, so lesson plans to write and classes to be had.

As I said the build will slow a little as all this goes ahead but I'll keep it alive. The Covering has arrived from HK within 24Hrs around £4 postage which was good and a little contrary to the other HK postings on here, but I've also has experience of rather "extortionate" costs from them as well.

Next Saturday is the southern model airshow and hopefully Ill attend - I'll have to take a pushbike as I can't walk that far still. For the first time I don't intend to come away with boxs of balsa - I've no room left. I'll invest in some piano wire instead

Stay tuned !

Advert

Thanks Brain...

Now I have to report something drastic...

The fuselage was standing on its nose. Yep you guessed it - I knocked it over. The tail made contact with the wall, and the tail almost snapped off. At least it showed me a weak point; on the underside, just forward of the tail wheel.

The bracing is all well and good on the underside, but I really want to rethink that, like sheeting it with crossgrain. I think 1/16" with crossgrain - including the bracing.

What do my mentors think?

I made a 1/8" ply bracket for the tail wheel, repaired accordingly and glued that in. Will investigate strengthening!

Edited By Stevo on 06/09/2015 11:37:15

WARNING: Percy Verance - the content that follows may make you jealous

Wing now almost complete except the wingtips - subject of much thought and planning at the moment.

Enjoy, Tigre fans.

tigre 86.jpg

tigre 87.jpg

tigre 89.jpg

tigre 90.jpg

Look closely enough and you will see the recess for the Ailerons...

Edited By Stevo on 13/09/2015 14:25:11

Nobody seems to have commented yet on the tailplane or fuselage 'hanger damage'.

My view is that it might be a lot stronger when covered. Maybe just a gusset or two might be sufficient rather than crossgrain sheeting the fuselage. Maybe jus a few slivers of 1/64 ply inserted into a sawcut to make a butt joint into a 'loose tenon' joint? Crossgrain sheeting is really to make it stiffer rather than withstand damage. Saving weight at the tailend always makes a much lighter model as we all know. Something has to give in a knock or a crash so maybe leaving it frangible in an easily repairable place is no bad thing?

Thinkingabout it the crossgrain idea would not work; ets assume the tailwheel slammed down first (unlikely). The cross grain would split open. Dave Hurrell's idea for theBe2c was to sheet the bottom of the fuselage in 1/64" ply (then it is stained antique pine to simulate the real thing). Not sure that would look correct on this model though.

I think a gusset or two!

Anyhow those pesky wingtips. To my eye, they did not look quite right; as the tail is based on a Pitts, then why not the wingtips? The Pitts tips describe a complete semi-circle; if I did this on the Tigre that would extend the overall span by 3-4" and it would look way out.

I got the drawing implements (ruler, compass, pins, thread and pencil) out of hibernation and made a symetrical ellipse for the tips. I did mess around with teardrop (Turbulent) tips but they looked awful.

I made a semi-elliptical jig to start laminating them up: -

tigre 91.jpg

...and then will build from there.

Looks great so far Stevo!

Keep up the good work. The Chorus Gull was re printed as a free plan in RCM@E a few years ago early 2000s I think originally a Brian Peckham model from the 80s I think Alex Whittaker revived it I think.

Is there any chance the ed may consider a re print of the Ruhig Tigre plan in RCM@E?

Steve smiley

The standard size Ruhig Tigre plan is here

But how does anyone get the larger version? ( it's too big for me but there will be others who like large planes )

My view is that RCME should publish new designs not republish old plans - unless they run out of designs for publication.

Well quite simply they don't - well not really.

We've been working from a drawing of the side view, with only the formers shown. The tail is only shown as one half planform, and the wing is probably the most detailed but overall there are no constructional notes whatsoever.

(As we know Colin departed before the drawings were finished).

Which led me to redsign the wing, and build some "enhancements" in of my own, taking on board advice from others of course - and thankyou. If anyone wants to draw it as a project then please do - I'll help out!

Regards RCME publishing old plans - perhaps - if they are in demand or out of print.

OK Tigre fans, or... fan...

Ailerons made today. Two ailerons, with the top left to glue on. There are reinforcing blocks for the aileron horn and robart 5mm hinges.

tigre 93.jpg

Clamped up for drying in a jig..

tigre 94.jpg

Two shaped ailerons!

tigre 95.jpg

tigre 96.jpg

And fettled to fit on the starboard. I glued some reinforcing blocks for the hinges on the rear laminated spar. I obviously shaped the aileron recess using a balsa block, shaped to resemble an aileron cross section, wrapped 180g paper round it and the balsa triangles I glued in earlier were reduced - giving the L.E. of the aileron a niced semi-circular recess to sit in.

The aileron has been drilled and fitted with 5mm robarts: -

tigre 97.jpg

The port recess ahs been shaped, but nothing drilled yet; will fit tomorrow if I have time.

Still trying to work out the wing tip structure, incorporating the wingtip LEDs.

Edited By Stevo on 26/09/2015 17:52:14