Vancouver Seaplanes

img_3306.jpgimg_3305.jpgimg_3302.jpgimg_3301.jpgimg_3300.jpgimg_3294.jpgimg_3276.jpgimg_3270.jpgimg_3269.jpgimg_3263.jpgimg_3262.jpgimg_3261.jpgimg_3260.jpgimg_3259.jpgimg_3251.jpgimg_3250.jpgWhen last here in October 1998, I took a flight in a De Havilland Beaver seaplane from the Harbour, up to 9,000ft. over the glacier and landed on a remote lake about 4,000ft above sea level. This time I booked a flight on the Mail Run, down the Gulf and landing at Salt Springs and Bedwell Island. On the return flight I was up front with the pilot Henry, a young Australian. This time the plane was a De Havilland Otter, single engined. Originally fitted with a Pratt and Whitney radial, many were converted to turbo-prop some time ago and this was one of those. Also in use were Beavers and Twin Otters. I greatly enjoyed this, one of my ideas of heaven is to live in Canada and own a DH Beaver seaplane. Seeing the beautiful art-deco style De Havilland logo still in place in the centre of the panel made me realise again just how much we have lost.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 05/07/2015 03:43:38

Advert

image.jpgimage.jpgI have to confess that I'm a fan of the Beaver and the Otter, but they have been done fairly frequently and therefore come behind the Wicko Warferry in the to-do list, probably six models away. If I do the Otter though, it will have to be the original radial engined version, not the less charismatic (if efficient and reliable), gas-turbine conversion.image.jpg